RAF Lossiemouth is located north-east of Inverness in Scotland. It is one of the largest and busiest fast jet operating bases within the Royal Air Force, with three Typhoon squadrons based here.
RAF Lossiemouth Satellite View
The Typhoon Squadrons contribute to the Quick Reaction Alert (Interceptor) North capability which provides protection to UK airspace 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It has been announced that nine new Poseidon P8 Maritime Patrol Aircraft will be based here in the future.
Military Aircraft Tracker in the UK
• Current Military Aircraft in the UK Tracker.
• Historic Military Aircraft in the UK Tracker.
• Military Aircraft around the World Tracker.
Plane Finder tracks mainly civilian flights but does also include some military aircraft such as the Tutor, Tucano, Hawk, Voyager, BAe 146, Squirrel HT1, and Sentinel R1 etc which can be seen over the UK. ADS-B Exchange (Click on Global Radar View) tracks many other military aircraft such as Tornado, Typhoon, F-15, Hercules etc over the UK.
Military Aircraft Photographs at UK Military Bases
RAF Lossiemouth Scanner Frequencies:
Approach - 234.875
Zone - 119.350
Radar - 312.400
Director - 258.700
Departures - 118.900, 308.850
Tower - 118.200, 279.050
Ground - 268.625, 118.250
ATIS - 264.775
Aircraft & Squadrons
RAF Lossiemouth is home to three Typhoon Squadrons (1 Sqn, 2(AC) Sqn & 6 Sqn). There is also a Tornado OCU Squadron (XV(R) Sqn) which teaches pilots how to fly the aircraft and what tactics to use to best exploit the performance of their aircraft and its weapons. The Tornado GR4 Squadron disbanded on 31st March 2017.
Additional units at RAF Lossiemouth include No 5 Force Protection Wing of the RAF Regiment which includes a regular field squadron, 51 Squadron RAF Regiment, and a reserve squadron, 2622 Squadron of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force Regiment.
1 Squadron - Typhoon.
2(AC) Squadron - Typhoon.
6 Squadron - Typhoon.
XV(R) Squadron - Tornado GR4 (Disbanded
It has been announced that nine new Poseidon P8 Maritime Patrol Aircraft will be delivered to the RAF before 2020 and based at RAF Lossiemouth. A fourth Typhoon Squadron will also be formed at RAF Lossiemouth in the near future.
RAF Lossiemouth was formally opened in 1939 with No.15 Flight Training School (FTS) operating Airspeed Oxfords, and Hawker Harts.
During the War, anti-aircraft defences were installed and 15 FTS received more Airspeed Oxfords, and Hawker Harts. Fairey Battles were also stored at the base. Wellington bombers were based here for a short time as they took part in the attack of German cruiser Deutschland.
In 1940, a detachment of Handley Page Hampdens took part in offensive patrols over the North Sea. The Wellingtons were replaced by Bristol Blenheims. 15 FTS was then relocated to Middle Wallop and RAF Lossiemouth transferred to No 6 Group of RAF Bomber Command operating Wellingtons and Avro Ansons.
46 Maintenance Unit (MU) was formed in 1940 to service Hurricanes, Tiger Moths, Hawker Audaxes, and a Hornet Moth. There were continued bomber detachments in 1941 using Blenheims. In 1942, several unsuccessful missions were undertaken to sink the German Battleship Tirpitz using Stirling and Halifax bombers, and later Lancasters. Wellingtons were also used in strategic bombing of German cities in 1942.
The US Army Air Force constructed the airfields first surfaced runways as well as a new control tower in late 1942. 46 MU worked on Bristol Beaufighters and Lancasters during 1943. Further operations against Tirpitz took place in 1944 from Lossiemouth as well as Kinloss and Milltown which successfully destroyed the Battleship using Lancasters with Tallboy bombs.
After the War, 46 MU began the enormous task of breaking up surplus aircraft for scrap. RAF Lossiemouth was transferred to No 17 Group of RAF Coastal Command, and operated B-24 Liberators, Halifaxes, and a B-25 Mitchell until they were disbanded in 1946.
Lossiemouth was transferred from the Royal Air Force to the Fleet Air Arm in 1946 and was a training station known as HMS Fulmar. Supermarine Seafires and Fairey Fireflies were operated here until 1953. In 1967, Blackburn Buccaneer aircraft bombed the shipwrecked supertanker Torrey Canyon off the west of Cornwall to avoid an enviromental disaster.
The station was transferred back to the Royal Air Force in 1972 and a Helicopter Search and Rescue flight took up residence. The base also operated the Avro Shackleton. From 1978 to 1981 the Hawker Hunter was based here. In 1993, the Buccaneers were replaced by Tornados in the anti-shipping role. It was announced in 2011 that Lossiemouth's Tornados would move to RAF Marham and RAF Leuchars would close and move their Typhoons to RAF Lossiemouth.