Built in Castle Bromwich. X4650, piloted by a young pilot, Howard Squire of 54 Squadron, RAF Catterick, collided with Alan Deere's Spitfire (X4276) over North Yorkshire in December 1940. Flight Commander Alan Deere (Battle of Britain legend from New Zealand) was giving the young pilot a lesson in how to keep close to an enemy aircraft, saying 'Stick to me like glue' when Howard Squire got too close and hit Deere's tail with his propeller at 12,000ft causing them both to ditch. Sgt Squire and Flight Commander Alan Deere were unhurt with Deere later going on to become an Air Commodore and Sgt Squire at the age of 89 visiting the later restoration of X4650.
The aircraft was later discovered in 1976, during the long hot Summer which revealed the Spitfire due to low river levels on farmland near Kirklevington, Cleveland. Peter Monk oversaw the complex project in which the engine was refurbished by specialists in Gloucestershire and the airframe restored by craftsmen on the Isle of Wight. Previously owned and restored by Peter Monk (The Spitfire Company) based at Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar. First post-restoration flight took place on 9th March 2012 and flown by Paul Bonhomme (Display & Red Bull racing pilot). X4650 (KL-A) is currently in 1940, 54Sqn markings. Sold to Dan & Tom Friedkin of Chino, California, USA but currently resides at Biggin Hill.
(photo by Nigel Key at the Duxford Flying Legends Airshow 2012.)
Tom Kaplan & Simon Marsh (Mark One Partners LLC), IWM Duxford
In May 1940 P9374 was shot down but managed to bellyflop onto the beach at Calais, France (marked as GR-J). The pilot was Flight Officer Peter Cazenove (92 Sqn) who escaped unhurt and joined up with a British regiment at Calais in an unsuccessful attempt to fight off the Germans. He was captured and taken to a series of Prisoner Of War camps including Stalag Luft III where he helped to organise the Great Escape. Unfortunately, he was too big to use a tunnel to escape but was released after the war was over. P9374 sank into the sands of Calais soon after it had crash-landed. 40 years later, the Spitfire emerged from the sand due to strong tides. It was torn apart by souvenir hunters and also during a salvage operation to bring it to the surface. It was cleaned up and went to the Musée de l’Air in Paris (1980). Billionaire American gold-trader Tom Kaplan and Simon Marsh bought P9374 from the museum in 2006. Stored in Isle of Wight before restoration work was to begin. The aircraft was restored by the Aircraft Restoration Company at Duxford, UK. It was registered as G-MKIA and made its first post-restoration flight at Duxford on 1st September 2011.
(photo by Webmaster at the Duxford Flying Legends Airshow 2012.)
Built by Westland at Yeovil and delivered to 12 MU on July 24th 1941. To 57 OTU on July 31st and transferred to 53 OTU on February 20th 1943. To 8 MU for storage on August 17th 1944 until struck off charge on November 30th 1945. This aircraft was never used in a combat role and only served with Operational Training Units but did suffer at the hands of fledgling pilots. Sold to Gp Capt Allen Wheeler (who originally intended racing AR213 but this never happened) on March 10th 1947 and registered G-AIST but stored until 1967 when it was brought to flying condition for 'The Battle of Britain' film. Then flown by Allen Wheeler at Wycombe Air Park for several years before being sold to The Hon Patrick Lindsay in 1978. Following Lindsay's death on January 9th 1986, AR213 was sold in April 1989 to Victor Gauntlett, and Peter Livanos at PPS at Booker.
Victor Gauntlett died in 2003 and AR213 underwent a major overhaul and reconstruction at PPS, Booker, High Wycombe and operated by Sheringham Aviation (Peter Livanos company). Its flying permit expired in 2002 and it was decided to completely rebuild AR213 to give it another 20 years of airworthy life. Underwent an intensive and costly restoration by Personal Plane Services (PPS) to bring the aircraft as close to its original build as possible. First post-restoration flight was on 12th November 2007 from Booker, High Wycombe, still in primer and awaiting a new paint scheme. Repainted in authentic 57 OTU colours, coded JZ-E. This was the the colour scheme when Flt Lt James Harry 'Ginger' Lacey, who had shot down more enemy aircraft then anyone else during the Battle of Britain, was posted to 57 OTU for a rest as an instructor and flew AR213 as his personal aircraft and which was coded JZ-E. Sold by Sheringham Aviation in 2011 to 'Spitfire The One Ltd', Tom Friedkin? and currently residing at the IWM Duxford. This Spitfire was repainted by the Aircraft Restoration Company in Duxford in 2013 to represent an aircraft of No.71 'Eagle' Squadron based at North weald in 1941 and flown by Pilot Officer William Dunn. It wears the 'Eagle' Squadron crest on the nose and XR-D markings of P7308.
(photo by webmaster at the Cotswold Air Show 2010.)
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire, UK.
Built at Castle Bromwich in 1940 and delivered to 6 MU in August that year. To 266 Sqn on Sept 6th as UO-T, then to 603 Sqn RAuxAF. Crash landed after combat with Bf-109s in October 1940 (repaired bullet holes still visible on port wing).
To 1 CRU in November 1940 and then to 37 MU for storage. To 616 Sqn on March 18th 1941, then 64 Sqn on April 10th and 37 MU in January 1942.
With the Central Gunnery School from April 1942 to February 1943 and to 57 OTU on March 31st.
Stored at 39 MU from July 1944 until sold as scrap to John Dale & Sons who presented it to RAF Colerne for display until 1967.
Brought to flying condition for 'The Battle of Britain' film and flown as G-AWIJ by Spitfire Productions in 1968. To BBMF in October 1968 with whom it still flies. P7350 wears the livery of No 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron's L1067 'XT-D'. For the 2007 season, P7350 is now in a new colour scheme with new codes XT-L depicting the aircraft of Gerald 'Stapme' Stapleton, a 603 Sqn veteran.
A more detailed history can be found on the RAF's BBMF website. (photo by Webmaster - Duxford 2007)
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire, UK.
Built a Castle Bromwich in 1941 and delivered to 222 sqn on August 22nd that year at North Weald. It subsequently served with 130 Sqn, 133 (Eagle) Sqn at Biggin Hill, 242 Sqn, 416 Sqn (RCAF), no 3501 Support Unit, 402 Sqn (RCAF), 53 OTU at Hibaldstow (famously took-off with WAAF ground-crew fitter(Margaret) on the tail & landed one circuit later with her still clinging to the tail.), 527 Sqn and the RWE, finally going into store at 29 MU on May 30th 1945. On July 14th 1947 it was bought by Group Captain Allen Wheeler who used it mainly for racing as G-AISU. It was sold to Vickers-Armstrong in 1959 was presented to the BBMF on September 15th 1965 and appeared in 'The Battle of Britain' film in 1968. It still flies with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF). AB910 wears the desert camouflage scheme of the Commanding Officer of 244 Wing, Wing Commander Ian Richard Gleed DFC, from the Tunisian campaign of 1943. For the 2007 season, AB910 is now in 303 (Polish) Sqn markings.
A more detailed history can be found on the RAF's BBMF website. (photo by Webmaster - RAF Cosford 2007)
Westland-built, delivered to 8 MU on June 22nd 1942. On July 19th it went to 310 (Czech) Sqn, where it remained until March 1943. Its other wartime units were 3501 Support Unit, 504 Sqn, Church Stanton Station Flight, 312 (Czech) Sqn, 442 (Canadian) Sqn, 58 OTU, No 1 Tactical Exercise Unit and 61 OTU. After damage on September 9th 1944 it was converted to an LF.Vc and served with the Central Gunnery School from April 1945 until storage that August. Acquired by Loughborough College and used as an instructional airframe from 1946 to 1961, when it joined the Shuttleworth Collection. Restored as G-AWII to fly in 'The Battle of Britain' film, then stored until 1973, when a 2-year rebuild led to a new first flight on June 27th 1975. The aircraft has been flying from Old Warden ever since. Temporarily in new paint scheme in 2000 for Pearl Harbor film with markings AR4474 (RF-Y). Currently (2007) undergoing a full restoration with the engine being rebuilt and airframe checked.
(photo by Webmaster - Old Warden 2005)
Guy Black, The Historic Aircraft Collection of Jersey, IWM, Duxford, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Castle Bromwich built, delivered to 37 MU on May 26th 1942. Initially allocated to 315 (Polish) Sqn in May 1942, after just 4 months of service she was transferred to fellow Polish 317 Sqn where she carried the code JH-C. She was involved in a landing accident and declared Cat B on the 13th February 1943 and required extensive repair at De Havillands and modifications at Vickers-Armstrong before passing through 33, 39, and 222 Maintenance Units and issued to 58 OTU in April 1945. In October 1945 she was converted to an instructional airframe at RAF St Athan and issued with the serial 5718M. Relegated to display duties it paired with AR614 at RAF Hednesford
where she was gate guardian from 1952-54, then to RAF Bridgenorth before transfer to RAF Church Fenton. Recalled to service for the 'Battle of Britain' film in 1967 it provided the master model for the fibre glass replicas. Back at Church Fenton in 1969 for a further 20 years where she was gate guardian, with 4 years at Linton on Ouse from 1975-79, it was sold by the MoD to the Tim Routsis Organisation Historic Flying Ltd, moving firstly to Braintree then onto the new facility at Audley End. Sold on to the Historic Aircraft Collection of Jersey in October 1993, work continued at Audley End culminating in a first flight on July 20th 1997, with the registration G-MKVB. Temporarily in new paint scheme in 2000 for Pearl Harbor film with markings AR352 (RF-C).
Flew to Malta along with Hurricane 'Z5140' as part of the 'Merlins over Malta' project in September 2005 and was painted dark blue and coded U-2. In June 2010 BM597 made an emotional journey to Poland and was greeted there by two of her old pilots S/Ldr Franciszek Kornicki and Flt Lt Jerzy Mencel. Currently painted in camouflage scheme coded JH-C.
(Photo by Webmaster - Duxford Spring Airshow 2008)
Stephen Grey, The Fighter Collection, IWM, Duxford, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Built at Castle Bromwich. To 45 MU then 501 Sqn on June 4th 1942. Later to 19 Sqn, 402 Sqn, No 3501 Support Unit and 53 OTU. With seven kills, she is the most credited Mk V in existence and maybe the most credited WWII fighter. An accident cut short her career with 501 squadron, and she returned to Castle Bromwich for repairs. Instructional airframe 5377M at St Athan from June 1945. RAF Wimslow's gate guardian 1955, similar at Bircham Newton and Boulmer until 1968. She was a static aircraft in the Battle of Britain film in 1967/68 and to Wattisham until 1989. Stored until it was sold in 1991 and restored by Historic Flying at Audley End for the Fighter Collection at Duxford. Flew September 12th 1995. Temporarily in new paint scheme in 2000 for Pearl Harbor film in which she was the lead aircraft with markings AR3185 (RF-M).
(Photo by webmaster - Duxford Flying Legends 2012)
Ray Hanna, Old Flying Machine Company, IWM, Duxford, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Built Castle Bromwich August 1943. Air tested by Alex Henshaw. To 222 Sqn on August 19th. Flown in combat by South African pilot Flt Lt Henry Lardner-Burke, DFC (1916-1970, veteran of the siege of Malta, seven and a half kills, three damaged, retiring as a Wing Commander). On the 27 August in the St Omar area over France, Lardner-Burke shot down a Focke-Wulf FW-190 and damaged a second during a mission to escort USAAF B-17 bombers. On the 5 September 1943 Lardner-Burke and MH434 shot down another FW-190 in the Nieuport area, and on the 8 September 1943 claimed a half share in the downing of a Messerschmitt Bf-109G in Northern France.
To 350 Sqn at Hornchurch in 1944 then returning to 222 Sqn, 84 Gp Support Unit and 349 Sqn. After 79 operational sorties, MH434 was retired in March 1945.
Storage at 9 MU in 1945, moved to 76 MU for disposal in 1946.
Sold to RNethAF in 1947, joined 322 Sqn in Java, test flown on October 10th and becoming H-105 and in 1948, H-68. After a belly landing on May 7th 1949, went into storage and returned to Holland, flying again on March 10th 1953, and passing to Belgian AF as SM-41 on October 9th at the Advanced Pilot School at Koksijde and with 13 Wing at Brustem.
COGEA 1956-63 as OOARA then acquired by Tim Davies and to UK as G-ASJV.
Moved to Stansted then Elstree for a full overhaul. Took part in it's first movie role, Operation Crossbow. Used in 'The Battle of Britain' film.
Bought by Sir Adrian Swire, Chairman of Cathay Pacific Airways, in 1968, had the Spitfire painted in 1944 camouflage colour scheme with his initials AC-S, as squadron codes. There were several film and television appearances during this period, including “A Bridge Too Far”.
It was also during this period (1970) that Ray Hanna's long association and famous partnership with the aircraft began.
Sold it at an auction in April 1983. Its new owner was the Nalfire Aviation Ltd consortium headed by Ray Hanna. It is now operated by Hanna's Old Flying Machine Company (OFMC) based at Duxford. It underwent a major rebuild in 1994-95. MH434 is flown in its authentic RAF 222 Squadron codes ZD-B. The name 'Mylcraine' is that of 'Pat' Lardner-Burke's wife, and it bears his kill tally as of August 43.
(photo by Webmaster - Duxford Flying Legends 2012)
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire, UK.
Built at Castle Bromwich and delivered to 9 MU Cosford on February 4th 1944. Allotted to 443 (Canadian) Sqn on March 11th 1943 it carried the code 21-V. Used extensively on operations leading up to D-Day it was assigned to 83 Group Support Unit on August 8th 1944. Then conversion to an instructional airframe at No 1 School of Technical Training at RAF Halton in October 1945 with serial 5690M. In 1951 it was transferred to RAF Hawkinge for gate display duties carrying the serial M5690. After some restoration work at 71 MU RAF Bicester in 1961 it was erected on a pole at RAF Locking for some years before allocation to the 'Battle of Britain' film unit at RAF Henlow in October 1967. Carrying the spurious serials and codes N3328/AI-R & N3317/BO it was filmed at North Weald and Duxford.Temporarily stored at RAF Henlow after the film on August 8th 1969 it joined the RAF Museum Reserve Collection based at RAF St Athan. Over an 8 year period it was restored to flight on November 7th 1997. Joined the BBMF on November 14th 1997. Shortly to be temporarily based at RAF Barkston Heath, Lincs. while the runways at RAF Coningsby are renovated. The aircraft is presented as a clipped wing LF Mk IX and carries the only markings it ever wore operationally as 21-V of 443 Squadron RCAF. MK356 was flown in to Duxford in October 2007 for 6 months maintenance to be carried out by the Aircraft Restoration Company and will include a repaint, replacement of the MK500 Merlin engine with a M266 Merlin engine to return the aircraft to build standard, and a respar of the wings will be necessary (Major maintenance of the BBMF fighters will be carried out by the Aircraft Restoration Company (ARCo) based at Duxford near Cambridge, for the next 5 years with an option to extend to 7 years). The new paint scheme will depict a 601 Squadron aircraft based in the Italian theatre in 1943. Presented as UF-Q, MJ250 of No 601 ( County of London ) Squadron the aircraft of Flight Lieutenant Desmond Ibbotson DFC. She is now in a silver paint scheme used during late 1944 when the Squadron carried out fighter bomber missions over the Balkans from bases in Southern Italy.
A more detailed history can be found on the RAF's BBMF website. (photo by Webmaster - Duxford Spring Airshow 2010)
To 312 Czech Sqn from 6th June 1944 to 29th November 1944 with Sqn letters 'DU'. To RNeth AF from 26th July 1946 to June 1952. Sold to Belgian Air Force with markings 'H-59' and later 'H-119'. Exhibited as 'SM-29' at Saffraenberg in Belgium. To Hull Aero, Ludham for the Historic Aircraft Collection (HAC). Registered as G-BRRA in 1995. Restored to air worthiness with 'MN' markings as a tribute to 350 Sqn Belgian Air Force. Presently with
new markings 'SH-L' along with new nose art which have been applied for film work. Canadian, Ed Russell has purchased Spitfire IX MK912 from Historic Flying for a reported £1 million (2003). Ed is currently learning to fly and has also purchased Harvard FE992 to help build up his hours in a taildragger before flying the Spitfire. MK912 (Borough of Bromley) was sold to Peter Monk in 2011 and based at Biggin Hill.
(photo by Jeff Mood - 2012)
Martin Phillips Exeter, Devon, UK
Delivered to RAF on 14th Oct 1944 and allocated to an anti-aircraft co-operation Squadron. Sold to SAAF as 5632 in April 1948. Written off and ended up in scrap Yard in Cape Town in 1954. Bought by collecter in Australia in 1976 for restoration. Restored in October 1984 and loaned to museum. Shipped to UK in 1986 (Charles Church). Stored for sale in 1994. Bought in 2001 by private owner.
RR232, a Mk.IX Spitfire has taken to the air on 18th December 2012 after many years of restoration fronted by owner Martin Phillips.
Built at Castle Bromwich. To 29MU in December 1944. To 39MU in 1945. Then to 183 Squadron at Chilbolton in June 1945.
To 234 Squadron at RAF Bentwaters in July 1945. To 29MU and stored. To South African Air Force in 1949.
To South African Metal & Machinery Co. in Cape Town, and scrapped in 1954. To South African Museum at Snake Valley. Remains of TA805 were discovered and eventually returned to the UK in 1981.
To Steve Atkins, Oxford, UK from1989 to 1995.
Remains of aircraft sent to Isle-of-wight as restoration project in 1995. To Peter R. Monk & Mike Simpson, Maidstone, Kent from 1996 to 2002. Restored to airworthy condition by Airframe Assemblies, Sandown, UK. Moved to Aircraft Restoration Company, Duxford to complete restoration. First restoration flight on 7th December 2005 at Duxford. Markings are those of 234 Squadron worn when first at RAF Bentwaters in 1945. Moved to Biggin Hill in 2006 where it is presently based. Usually referred to as the Kent Spitfire. See official website at www.kentspitfire.co.uk (photo by Webmaster - Little Gransden 2007)
David Arnold, Flying A Services, North Weald, Essex, UK.
Built at Castle Bromwich. To 6 MU on May 6th 1944. To 82 MU, repaired after damage by General Aircraft. To 84 Group Support Unit on August 30th, had two accidents, last flight June 7th 1945, storage at 9 MU. To RNethAF May 30th 1947 as H-60 with 322 Sqn of Netherlands East Indies Air Force, Java. Flown against guerrillas, retired September 1949 and stored. Returned to Holland, overhauled by Fokker as B-8, delivered to Advanced Pilots School, Brustem on March 10th 1953 as SM36. To Fighter School, Coxyde, last military flight on May 16th 1954. Two years open storage, sold to COGEA as OO-ARE. Used as target tug, retired July 24th 1959. Bought by Bev Snook, sold to Taskers, Andover for static use. Passed through several ownerships, shipped to USA, arriving Texas on June 14th 1970. Restored by Hull Aviation to flying condition as N238V, then to David Tallichet, then back to Doug Arnold's Warbirds Of Great Britain at Blackbushe. Registered G-MKIX on December 12th 1983, flew again on May 6th 1984. Moved to USA following Doug Arnold's death in late 1992. Returned to UK.
(photo by Michel Abraham)
Built Aldermaston in 1944. To 9 MU October 9th. To 16 Sqn, Belgium in Summer of 1944 - March 1945, then relocated to Holland. To Germany and back to UK for disposal. To Royal Netherlands Air Force School of Technical Training, Deelen on July 27th 1947. Displayed at base, then moved to Dutch National War Museum, Overloon on November 1960. Bought by Nick Grace and Chris Horsely in 1987. To Medway Aircraft Preservation Society, Rochester for rebuild. Registered G-MKXI. To Tangmere Flight Engineering, Rochester in 1991 for completion. First flight on December 23rd 1992. Transferred to Duxford on February 1st 1993 for operation by Old Flying Machine Company (OFMC) although it remained grounded for several months for further work. Sold to the Real Aeroplane Co. in March 1997. In September 2004 PL 965 made the move from her old home at Breighton in Yorkshire, to North Weald in Essex and now proudly forms part of the Hangar 11 collection....more details at www.hangar11.co.uk PL965 returned to flight on 26th November 2010 after 15 months on the ground while having her original 1945 Merlin 70 engine re-installed.
(photo by Webmaster - Old Warden, August 2006)
Stephen Grey, The Fighter Collection, IWM, Duxford, Cambridgeshire, UK. (MV268)
Built by Vickers-Armstrong, Keevil. To 33 MU february 27th 1945 and stored.To 213 MU for packing on August 20th and shipment to India. Arrived Karachi October 14th, to Indian Air Force as No 48, December 1947. Later coded T20, to IAF Technical College, Jalahalli. Recovered from Bangalore and crated to Blackbushe. Restoration begun by Dick Melton, registration G-BGHB not taken up, became G-SPIT on March 2nd 1979. First flight after restoration at Duxford on August 14th 1992.
(photo by Webmaster - Duxford Flying legends 2012)
Tom Blair, Spitfire Ltd, IWM, Duxford, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Built Castle Bromwich. To 6 MU on May 11th 1945, then to 695 Sqn. To 2 CAACU August 31st 1951. To 9 MU May 27th 1954, delivered as display airframe to 610 Sqn at Hooton Park October 4th 1955, then stored there from 1957 to April 8th 1959, when it became 7246M with 1366 Sqn ATC. To RAF Sealand then to 30 MU there on January 31st 1967 and displayed outside officers mess and then on a pole at the main gate until 1988. Used in 'The Battle of Britain' film in 1968. To Tim Routsis/ Historic Flying Ltd, Cambridge on June 1988. To Eddie Coventry, Earls Colne on August 1988 and collected from Sealand October 14th. Registered G-OXVI on August 22,1989 and rebuilt to fly at Audley End. First flight on November 10th 1992. Sold to Karel Bos. Involved in a landing accident at Duxford on 11/5/01, pilot Karel Bos was uninjured, damage to undercarriage, port wing, and propellor, stored in Historic Flying's hangar, Duxford. Restored with first flight on 27/5/02. TD248 was sold in 2005 and the new owners had it re-sprayed in it's new colour scheme of 74 Squadron 2nd Tactical Air Force May 1945. It is owned by Tom Blair, operated by Spitfire Ltd and maintained by the Aircraft Restoration Company at Duxford.
(Photo by Webmaster - Duxford Flying Legends 2012)
Built Castle Bromwich and delivered to 9 MU on May 30th 1945. To 20 MU October 20th and 6 MU September 16th 1946. To 203 Advanced Flying School (later 226 OCU) September 7th 1948 and to 607 Sqn February 27th 1950. Stored 33 MU June 13th then to Central Gunnery School November 9th. To 64 Reserve Centre February 27th 1951 as 6850M. To 1855 (Royton) Sqn ATC from 1952 to February 1967. Used in the 'Battle of Britain' film and subsequently moved to Finningley to join museum collection. To 5 MU (RAF Kemble) for restoration then to 23 MU (RAF Aldergrove) and stored for Ulster Folk and Transport Museum. Displayed outside museum March 1977 then stored until sold to Nick Grace in 1986. Registered G-MXVI to Myrick Aviation Services February 2nd 1989 and rebuilt with first flight on November 23rd 1990. Sold to Alain de Cadenet in 1995 and stored at RAF Halton. To Hawker Restorations on 5th December 1996. Repainted in free French Air Force markings (2002). Moved to OFMC at Duxford in 2004 until its future has been decided. Sold to Paul Andrews (G2 Trust) and moved from Duxford to Personal Plane Services at Wycombe Air Park (Booker) in October 2006. TE184 will be rebuilt to stock Mk.XVIe condition and returned to the air once again. TE184 wings are nearing completion and also its Merlin 286 engine.
First post-restoration flight on 20th February 2009. Sold to Stephen Stead in April 2011. Currently based at Bremgarten in Germany but remains as G-MXVI. Moved from Bremgarten, Germany to Biggin Hill, UK in March 2012 where it will be based in the Heritage Hangar which also contains three other airworthy Spitfires (TA805, MK912, and X4650), along with another two Spitfires which are being restored (RW382, and TD314).
(photo by Stephen Stead - 2011)
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire, UK.
Spitfire TE311 is a low-back/bubble-canopy Mk XVI with ‘clipped’ wingtips. Some 58 years after it last flew, TE311 will be back in the air in 2012, having undergone a painstaking re-build to flying condition by BBMF technicians, which was started in October 2001.
TE311 was taken on charge by the Air Ministry on 8 June 1945 – a month after the war ended – and was placed in storage. From October 1945 to February 1946, it was flown by the Handling Squadron of the Empire Central Flying School (ECFS) at Hullavington. Subsequently, after another period in store, it was used by the Ferry Pilot Training Flights at Aston Down and Benson. TE311 was grounded and transferred to non-effective stock on 13 December 1954. Subsequently the aircraft was a ‘gate guardian’ at Tangmere for 12 years and then, for over 30 years, was used as a static display exhibit at many air shows, as part of the RAF Exhibition Flight.
TE311 is painted as Spitfire XVI TB675 ‘4D-V’, the aircraft of Squadron Leader Tony Reeves DFC, who was the Commanding Officer of No 74 Squadron in 1945.
(photo by Webmaster at RIAT 2013)
Built at Southampton and delivered to the central Photographic Reconnaissance Unit at Benson on January 13th 1945. Then to 16 Sqn of 34 Wing and on to 268 Sqn, re-formed at 16 Sqn at Celle on September 18th 1945. Back in UK by March 1946, to 29 MU. Flying accident on January 17th 1949, to makers for repairs March 9th. Left South Marston February 28th 1950, then to 6 MU. Converted for PR and joined Short Brothers Met Flight in July 1950, remaining with the unit until its retirement after its final flight on June 9th 1957. Flown to join BBMF on June 14th. To 32 MU on November 8th and then allocated to Biggin Hill's Station Flight on December 20th. To Station Flight, North Weald on March 1st 1958 and to Central Fighter Establishment on April 14th. Struck off charge on May 1st, it became West Rayham's gate guardian as 7548M until 1961. PS853 was relocated to RAF Binbrook where it was actively maintained
during 1962-63. Returned to West Raynham and transferred to BBMF on April 14th 1964 and took part in 'The Battle of Britain' film in 1968. Sold to Euan English early in 1995 but back up for sale following English's death in a flying accident on March 4th 1995. Sold to Rolls Royce, September 1996. Now based in a dedicated hangar at East Midlands Airport. Undergoing a major overhaul with the Aircraft Restoration Company at Duxford in 2010. On 7th January 2013 the undercarriage collapsed after it made a landing at East Midlands Airport, the pilot was unhurt.
(photo by Webmaster - Kemble Air Day 2007)
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire, UK.
Ordered from Vickers-Armstrong and built at Reading late in 1945 and delivered to 6 MU. Possibly served with 203 Advanced Flying School from May 1949 to January 1950 then stored until July 1951. To Met Research Flt operated by Short Brothers at Hooton Park on July 2nd 1951; unit moved to Woodvale on July 13th. Used for temperature and humidity flights until June 1957.
Joined PS853, and PS915 to form the Historic Aircraft Flight in July 1957 at Biggin Hill, which later became the BBMF. With the BBMF ever since except for a period when it was used for combat trials against the Central Fighter Establishment's Lightnings at Binbrook in early 1964. Used in 'The Battle of Britain' film in 1968.This is the BBMF's longest serving aircraft, with 2005 being her 48th year of continuous service on display duties. PM631 is painted as an early PRXIX of 541 Squadron. Undergoing major maintenance at ARC from October 2009 including a wing re-spar, and new radio & GPS system fitted (estimated to be complete by April 2010). A more detailed history can be found on the RAF's BBMF website. (photo by Webmaster - RIAT 2007)
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire, UK.
Built at Southampton and delivered to 6 MU on April 17th 1945 and to RAF Benson on April 26th. To 541 Sqn on June 21st, No 1 Pilots' Pool, Benson on December 20th then with PR unit at same base on July 22nd 1946. Issued to 151 RU on October 10th then joined 2 Sqn at Wunsdorf, Germany on July 8th 1948. Following accident was repaired and issued to the Met Flight at Woodvale on June 4th 1954 serving there until retired and flown to join Historic Aircraft Flight(forerunner of the BBMF) at Biggin on June 13th 1957. Grounded and mistakenly allotted 7548M (see PS853) then 7711M; became gate guardian at West Malling, and then Leuchars. After static use in 'The Battle of Britain' film in 1968 it became RAF Brawdy's guardian undergoing Griffon installation trials with the BBMF during this period. Restored to flying condition with Shackleton engine by BAe Warton 1984-86 first flight December 16th 1986. To BBMF March 24th 1987. PS915 currently wears the colour scheme and markings of PS888, a PRXIX of 81 Squadron. A more detailed history can be found on the RAF's BBMF website. (photo by Webmaster - RIAT 2007)
Airworthy 2-seat Spitfire Trainers based in the UK:
Built 1944 at Vickers. To Controller Research & Development, High Post in June 1944, to Farnborough, then back to High Post. Bought by Vickers and converted at Chilbolton from basic airframe to a two-seater. MT818 was the only 2-seat Mk.VIII ever built. A full set of instruments was installed in the front cockpit for the student. Engine was a Merlin Mk 66 with 4 blade propeller and four 0.303 colt browning machine guns were retained for weapons training.
Flew in August 1946 with B-Conditions marks N32, later became G-AIDN. Flight testing undertaken by test pilot Mike Lithgow. Used as demonstrator from 1947-1952 and sent to Boscombe Down for handling trials, handling similar to single seat fighter although poor visibility from rear cockpit. Stored Chilbolton 1952-1956. To Hampshire Aeroplane Club in August 1956. Entered in several cross country air races in the UK as Race 99.
To John Fairey, Southampton for £2000 in 1963. TO Andover with half share to Tim Davies. Sold to M.S. Bayliss, then G. Miller, based at Coventry. Badly damaged after landing accident at Baginton, Coventry in February 1978. To St Athan in 1980, repainted as MT818/G-M. Shipped to Houston, Texas under Miller's ownership in 1982. Passed to Jack Ericson at Medford, Oregon in 1986. First restoration flight on April 1987, registered N58JE and operated by Tillamook NAS Museum, Oregan. Sold to Paul Andrews, Wycombe Air Park, and transported across the atlantic to West Sussex in October 2007. Its current Rolls Royce Merlin is being replaced for a correct Merlin 266 engine and it is hoped she will be flying by the end of 2008.
(photo by Dean Alexander)
Built as LF.IX at Castle Bromwich in 1944 and delivered to 33 MU on September 18th. Then to 84 Group Sipport Unit on October 9th and to 33 Sqn on October 19th. Back to 84 GSU in December, transferred to 83 GSU on January 20th 1945 and to 412 (RCAF) Sqn a few days later. Unit returned to UK in May 1945 and PV202 went to 83 GSU on 31st and then 29 MU on July 29th for storage. Sold to Vickers-Armstrong on July 19th 1950 and converted to a T9 trainer for Irish Air Corps, tested as G-15-174 and became IAC 161, delivered on June 29th 1951.Withdrawn December 4th 1960 and was instructional airframe ubtil March 1968, when it was sold to N.A.W Samuelson, shipped to the UK and stored. Sold to Sir William Roberts in April 1970 and arrived Strathallan on March 2nd 1972. Stored until August 9th 1979 then sold to Nick Grace and on to Steve Atkins on October 10th. Registered G-BHGH then re-registered G-TRIX on July 2nd 1980. Having held an interest in the aircraft in partnership with Steve Atkins since 1987, Richard Parker acquired sole ownership in 1990 and its first flight after rebuild took place on February 23rd that year at Dunsfold. In late 1991 it was sold to Rick Roberts.
Crashed at Goodwood Airfield on 8th April 2000, West Sussex killing both pilots, Norman Lees, and Greg McCurragh.
As it was about to land it clipped a tree and knocked into a bank before skidding across the motor racing circuit.
Historic Flying Ltd began restoring PV202 during 2002. Returned to it's former 1950's Irish Air Corps colours as IAC-161, and re-registered as G-CCCA, it will be used for training purposes at Duxford.First post-restoration flight at Duxford on 13/1/05. New paint scheme applied in April 2007 with markings of "H-98" of the Dutch Air Force. IAC-161 suffered some damage after the undercarriage collapsed whilst taxing out at Lelystad Airport, Netherlands in May 2008, the pilot was okay.
(photo by Webmaster - Duxford Flying legends 2012)
Built as an LF.IXc at Castle Bromwich, ML407 was delivered to 33 MU on April 23rd 1944 and ferried to 485 Sqn (RNZAF) on April 29th. On December 28th 1944 it was reassigned to 145 Wing of 2nd TAF but on January 4th 1945 it joined 341 (Alsace) Sqn, a free French unit in 131 Wing. Subsequent units were 308 Sqn, 349 Sqn, 485 Sqn, 345 Sqn, and 332 Sqn. After passing to 151 Recovery Unit in Belgium on April 26th 1945, ML407 returned to the UK and went into store on September 27th that year. Sold to Vickers on July 19th 1950, it was converted to a T9 trainer as G-15-175 and then joined the Irish Air Corps as IAC 162 on June 5th 1951. In 1960 it was retired and on March 4 1968 it was offered for sale and sold to N.A.W Samuelson who sold it to Sir W.J.D Roberts in April 1970. In August 1979 it became the property of Nick Grace and joined the civil register as G-LFIX on February 1st 1980. Its first post-rebuild flight took place on April 16th 1985 and late that year Chris Horsley acquired a share in the aircraft. Following the death of Nick Grace in a road accident in October 1988, ML407 is now registered to, and regularly flown and displayed by his widow Carolyn. ML407 is kept in Hangar Two at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford, Cambridgeshire, UK, and is maintained by Chief Engineer Dave Payne and his team. Carolyn flies the Grace Spitfire at many airshows, both public and private, up and down the country, and even in Europe, having also flown, much to her credit in no less than five record-breaking Spitfire formation flypasts between 1996 and 2000. The Grace Spitfire website can be found at: www.ml407.co.uk (photo by Webmaster - Duxford Spring Airshow 2008)
Anthony Hodgson, Dragon Flight, Private strip, North Wales, UK.
Built Castle Bromwich in July 1944 and delivered to 39 MU. Shipped to Mediterranean Allied Air Force with 215 MU. Served with 253 Sqn during 1945 with markings 'SW-A'. Transferred to Italian Air Force as 'MM4100' and to Israeli Air Force as '0607' and then '2067' in 1952. Found partially buried on a Kibbutz by Rob Lamplough and sent back to England in May 1983. To Charles Church in 1985 who restored and converted it to a Supermarine Type 509 Mk IX Spitfire Trainer configuration. Registered as G-CTIX it flew again on July 25th 1987. After Charles Church's death it was sold and ended up in Florida as N462JC 'SW-A' with Jetcap Aviation. Bought by Anthony Hodgson and brought back to the Aircraft Restoration Company (ARC) of Duxford, UK. PT462 is now kept at a private strip in Wales. More details at www.displayaircraft.co.uk (photo by Webmaster - Cosford Airshow 2006)
Maurice and Peter Bayliss, East Kirkby, Lincs, UK.
Built at Castle Bromwich as an LF.IX, MJ627 was delivered to 9 MU on December 4,1943 and stored. It entered service with 441 Sqn on September 28th 1944, but after an accident on March 9th 1945, it was stored at 29 MU until July 1950 when it was sold to Vickers.The company converted it into a T9 trainer and it bore the B-Conditions marking G-15-171 before joining the Irish Air Corps as IAC158 in June 1951. After retirement in 1960 it served as an instructional airframe until it passed to Film Aviation Services late in 1963 and became G-ASOZ the following February. Tim Davies bought it for spares that September. Stored until 1976, it was then sold to Maurice Bayliss and registered G-BMSB. It made its first post-restoration flight on November 8th 1993. Damaged in a wheels-up landing at Coventry Airport on 25.4.98 and being restored by a team of volunteers from BBMF. Repaired with test flight in February 2002 and then moved to and operated out of East Kirkby, Lincolnshire. Relocated in 2007 and seen operating out of Norwich but not known if this is a temporary move.
(photo by Webmaster - Duxford Spitfire Anniversary 2006)
Steven Brooks, Classic Aero Engineering, Thruxton, Hampshire, UK.
Built by Vickers Armstrong in 1944 as single seat Mk.IX. To 33MU at RAF Lyneham on the 23/10/44. Sold to South African Air Force in 1948. Its South African operational history is unknown. Discovered in a scrap yard in Cape Town in the 1970s, and purchased by Charles Church who started restoration. After Charles Church died in 1989 was sold to Alan Dunkerley and registered as G-BXHZ. Resold it to Paul Portelli in June 2002. Contracted to Classic Aero Engineering Ltd at Thruxton to be restored under Bruce Ellis. The fuselage was reconstructed as a 2-seat type 509 trainer at Airframe Assemblies at Sandown, Ise of Wight. Retro Track & Air at Dursley, Glos overhauled the Merlin 266 engine and fitted with 4 blade Hoffman propeller. Made post-restoration flight by Jonathan Whaley at Thruxton on 17th October 2008. Auctioned on 20th April 2009 by Bonhams at the RAF Museum, Hendon and sold to Steven Brooks, a financier & polar explorer for £1,739,500 (includes Buyer's Premium).
(photo by Dean Feltimo - April 2009)
Peter R. Arnold, Newport Pagnell - Fuselage only - recovered from scrapyard in 1973. To Neville Franklin. To Craig Charleston, Hemel Hempstead, 1978.
To Peter J. Wood, Twyford, 1980-2001 and registered G-BRMG in 1989. To Tim J. Manna, Cranfield November 2001. Long term restoration. New Fleet Air Arm colour scheme applied at Turweston Airfield on 7th February 2006. First flight on 3rd May 2006 at North Weald. This is the only airworthy Seafire on the UK register and the only other airworthy Seafire in the world is Jim Smith's FR.47 VP441 based in the USA. SX336 piloted by Anna Walker made a wheels up landing after the gear did not extend at Bondues near Lille, France on 1st July 2011 and later returned to North Weald for investigation and repair. Anna Walker was unhurt and seen to exit the aircraft after landing.
(Photo taken at Duxford Spring Airshow 2010.)
A list of Airworthy Spitfires based/registered outside the UK:
Provenance Fighter Sales, French Valley Airport, Southern California
Built at Castle Bromwich in 1941/2. In service with 5 RAF squadrons. Transferred to Royal Navy and fitted with tailhook as trainer for Seafire pilots. Abandoned for many years but found in Devon by 2 Royal Australian Navy Lieutenants, Peter Croser, and Michael Aitchison who were on exchange in the UK. Took BL628 to Australia and started on restoration but exchanged with Provenance for airworthy Mustang in 2006. Avspecs started on rebuild to airworthy condition. Made first restoration flight on 28th September 2007 from Ardmore Airfieldin Auckland, New Zealand. Disassembled in preperation for shipping to Provenance Fighter Sales at French Valley Airport in Southern California. Painted in original markings when it served with No 401 (RCAF) Squadron at Biggin Hill. Has the name 'Marion' painted on side as it was the personal aircraft of G.B. 'Scotty' Murray who flew 98 sorties in BL628 and shot down a Fw190.
Paul Allen, Flying Heritage Collection, Seattle, Washington, USA.
Westland-built and delivered to 39 MU on August 28th 1942. Taken on charge by 312 (Czech) sqn
on September 11th, where it was coded DU-Y serving until battle damage in May 1943 required repair at Air Service Training. Further operational service followed with 610, 130, and 222 Squadrons before relegation to training duties with 53 OTU, coded KU-V in September 1944. In July 1945 it was grounded at 4 School of Technical Training at St Athan as an instructional airframe with the serial 5378M. Gate guardian duties followed at Padgate, RAF West Kirby, RAF Hednesford and RAF Bridgenorth with further Maintenance serial allocations '371M', 6371M, 31:30D & 7555M
until finally put up for tender by the MoD in 1963 at RAF Dishforth. Initially acquired by the Air Museum of Calgary, ownership transferred in 1970 to Don Campbell of Kapuskasing, Ontario who
commenced a restoration to airworthiness, registering the aircraft CF-DUY. In October 1992 AR614 returned to the UK and the custody of the OFMC at Broughton where further restoration was initiated. In May 1994 Sir Tim Wallis and the Alpine Fighter Collection of New Zealand acquired the aircraft and finalised the restoration to airworthiness at Historic Flying at Audley End. Issued with the registration G-BUWA it made its post restoration first flight on October 5th 1996 and is expected to to be transferred to its base at Wanaka in New Zealand. To Hawker Restorations in 1999 and completely restored. To Flying Heritage Collection, Seattle, USA in 2002.
(photo by Tim Clark)
Tom Friedkin, Chino Spitfires Ltd, Chino, California, USA.
Built at Castle Bromwich in 1942. To RAAF in 1943 as A58-178. Damaged in 1945 while serving in Solomon Islands during a landing in bad conditions. Aircraft was never repaired and left there until recovered from Solomon Islands in 1974 (just front fuselage & partial wings remained) and Don J. Subritzky in Auckland started to rebuild using parts from a Mk. Vc (EF545). Registered as ZK-MKV in 1986. Bought by Karel Bos in 1999 and went to Historic Flying Ltd at Audley End where it was registered G-LFVC and began a restoration to flying condition. First post-restoration flight at Duxford on the 2nd November 2006. JG891 has been painted to represent a machine of 249 Squadron RAF, based in Malta in 1942/43 and as flown by Flt Sqt Jack Hughes, RCAF. The aircraft has been fitted with a Vokes filter and four wing cannons to represent a typical machine in the North African theatre of operations. Made its last UK flight on 21/2/08 prior to going to the USA. Owned by Tom Blair, and to be based at Kissimmee in Florida. JG891 arrived at Kissimmee, Florida in April 2008, re-assembled, and on 14th April 2008 carried out engine tests and flown later in the day. Sold to Tom Friedkin in 2009. Tom Friedkin's fleet of warbirds has been based at Planes of Fame at Chino, California but many to be transferred to San Antonio, Texas.
(Photo by Brian A Marshall)
Built at Southampton in 1944. To 6 MU on September 15th 1944. To Sydney, Australia, arriving November 24th. To No 2 Aircraft Depot, Richmond on November 28th. Allocated RAAF serial A58-671. Stored at Richmond from May 7th 1946, authorised for write-off on May 24th 1948. To School of Aircraft Construction, Sydney on December 1st 1948, still in original crate. Assembled and used for systems testing. Aquired October 1961 by Sqn Ldr 'Titus' Oates, test pilot for de Havilland Aircraft Pty for restoration as memorial to Battle of Britain pilots. Moved to Bankstown Airport and reassembled. Plan fell through, sold to Sid Marshall of Marshall Airways, for museum. Sold to Robs Lamplough, arrived at Duxford in winter of 1979, to Charfield, Glos, for restoration to airworthy condition. Registered G-BKMI. Final assembly at Filton, first flight on May 28th 1994. Flying with MT928 serial painted on side of fuselage. Temporarily in new paint scheme in 2000 for Pearl Harbor film with markings AR654 (RF-T). Bought by Max Alpha Aviation Ltd in 2010 and moved to Bremgarten airfield in Germany. Registered as D-FEUR.
(photo by webmaster - Duxford Flying Legends 2010)
David Lowy, Temora Aviation Museum, New South Wales, Australia.
Built in 1945. To 6 MU, crashed on test flight on March 20th 1945. Shipped to Sydney, Australia for RAAF, became A58-758, taken on charge on 26th June 1945. To Sydney Technical College from September 1949-1961. To Sqn Ldr 'Titus' Oates in 1961, then Sid Marshall, Marshall Airways 1963-1975. Loaned to Camden Museum of Aviation, New South Wales from July 1972-1982. To Col Pay, Scone, New South Wales from June1983-1992. Registered VH-HET, restored with first flight on December 29th 1985, painted as A58-758.
(photo by John Hall - taken in 2006)
Built at Castle Bromwich in 1944. To 6 MU on December 16th 1944. To 222 MU on January 5th 1945. Sold to Indian Air Force on December 31st 1947 as NH631. To Indian Air Force Museum, Palam, New Delhi in 1967. Maintained to airworthy condition.
(thanks to Kenneth Johansson)
Built at Castle Bromwich, to 6 MU on July 21st 1943. Shipped to Casablanca on August 5th, to USAAF on October 31st, returned to RAF in May 1944. Back to UK, stored at 39 MU until purchased by SAAF service, stored and reduced to spares, fuselage with other wings sold to Meerhof Hospital for Handicapped Children, Pretoria for £3 as a plaything. Bought by Larry Barnett and Alan Lurie in 1967, restored using many other parts 1969-1975. To Atlas Aircraft Corporation's apprentice school on April 1st that year for assembly. First flight at Jan Smuts Airport on 29th September. Loaned to SAAF Test Flying and Development Centre. Based at Lanseria until shipped to California in 1986/87 and registered to Larry Barnett International California Ltd as N930LB. Later aquired by David Price/Museum of Flying at Santa Monica. To San Carlos, Brazil.
(photo by Dean Alexander)
Royal Netherlands Air Force Historic Flight, Gilze Rijen Air Base, Netherlands.
Built at Castle bromwich early 1942. To 39 MU on March 8th. Issued to 485 (RNZAF) Sqn April 25th. To 1 CRU October 1944 and 39 MU January 1945. To RNethAF June 1948, then stored, then Jacht Vlieg School as H-25. To Fokker for repairs in November 1949, then to 322 Sqn in April 1951. Reserialled 3W-17, then retired in September 1953. Relegated to decoy use June 1954 until 14 Sqn acquired it as the 124 Wing Trophy at Oldenburg. Airfreighted to UK 1969, to RAF Coltishall as spares for BBMF in October 1974. Remains to 322 Sqn RNethAF March 1984 and stored at Gilze-Rijen November 1985-1989. To Dutch Spitfire Flight 1991 for complete restoration. Final assembly in UK as G-HVDM, first flight June 10th 1993. Delivered to Dutch Spitfire Flight in July 1993. Landing accident on 27th August 1995 with major damage on airframe and propeller. Restored to flying condition but suffered another landing accident due to the gear not being locked at Volkel during a display on 19th May 1996 which caused minor damage to the airframe and engine but major damage to the propeller. Engine overhauled and airworthy certificate in 1997. Moved from RNLAF Soesterberg to RNLAF Gilze-Rijen in 1998. Propeller damaged possibly by exploding tailwheel of DHC2 Beaver (G-BUVF) in July 1998. Replaced propeller. Take-off accident (prop-strike) at RAF Manston
during a display in March 1999. Damage discovered by Maintenance personnel upon arrival at RNLAF Gilze-Rijen. Damage prop blades changed with new ones.
G-HVDM painted at RNLAF Woensdrecht in a overall silver color scheme as 3W-17 and fitted with clipped wings in March 2000. G-HVDM transferred to the Dutch Civil Register as PH-OUQ in October 2000 with first flight as PH-OUQ on 26th June 2001.
(photo by Caz Caswell - Biggin Hill 2005)
Jerry Yagen, Tidewater Tech Fighter Factory, Suffolk, Virginia, USA.
Castle Bromwich built and delivered to 33 MU on December 12th 1943. Shipped for Casablanca arriving February 17th 1944. Served with 249 Sqn and allocated to Mediterranean Allied Air Forces on May 31st 1945. Sold to Italian AF on June 27th 1946, becoming MM4094 until sold to Israel AF in 1950. No details of Israeli service but aircraft was derelict at Kabri by 1976 and was acquired by Robs Lamplough. Brought to the UK in 1979, MJ730 was sold to Guy Black and was registered to Aero Vintage as G-BLAS. Restored by Steve Atkins, it returned to the air at East Midlands Airport on November 12th 1988, and was registered G-HFIX to new owner David Pennell in August 1989. It was sold to Gerry Yeagan and went to Virginia, USA in 1998.
(photo by Webmaster - 1996)
Tom Friedkin, Chino Spitfires Ltd, Chino, California, USA.
Built by Vickers-Armstrong at Castle Bromwich early 1944. To 6 MU April 28th passed to 84 Support Group Unit May 30th. Allocated to 443 (RCAF) Sqn Ford June 2nd coded 21-T. In action on D-Day by late June based at St Croix-sur-Mer, Normandy. June 26th claimed Fw190 damaged/probable over Rouen, July 13th Bf109 damaged/probable over Normandy. Two Bf109s destroyed September 29th. Subsequently issued to 442, 401, and 441 Sqns. To 29 MU August 1945 and stored. Sold back to Vickers-Armstrong, South Marston October 31st 1946 and converted to 2-seat trainer for Indian Air Force by October 1948, tested as G-15-11 and delivered to IAF and became HS543. In IAF Museum, Palam 1967; bought by Senator Norman E. Garr in April 1971. Arrived Charleston March 15th 1972 and stored at New Orleans until November 1972, sent to Darrell Skurich, Fort Collins, Colorado for restoration but little done before being traded to Stephen Grey and freighted to UK. Restored by PPS at Booker, registered G-BJSG January 29th 1981 and flew February 10th 1984. Was based at Duxford and operated by TFC. ML417 suffered an undercarriage collapse while parked at Le Touquet in 1999 and was given a major overhaul at Duxford. Flew again after 2 years at Duxford on 18th June 2001. Sold to Tom Friedkin, registered to 'Chino Spitfire Ltd' as N2TF and shipped to USA in December 2001.
(photo by Webmaster - 1993)
Built at castle Bromwich in 1944. To 9 MU at Cosford. To 126 Sqn, then 32 MU and 1 CRU. Stored at 39 MU in late 1944. Sold to the Netherlands in 1946, served with 322 Sqn in Java from May 1947 - 1950, later H-104 and H-61. Stored at Rotterdam. To Belgian Air Force in 1953 as SM-37, then to Ostend target towing contractor COGEA as 00-ARF. Used in the film 'The Longest Day' then stored until sold to actor Cliff Robertson of California in 1964. Registered N93081 and displayed in Movieland of the Air Museum. Re-registered N521R in February 1966. Overhauled 1972-73 and finished as 5J-Z of 126 Sqn. Sold to Craig McCaw in 1998 and displayed in airworthy condition at the Seattle Museum of Flight. Although MK923 is in the airworthy Spitfire list she is no longer flown and there are doubts over her airworthiness.
(Photo by Colin MacGregor Stevens - taken at Abbotsford Air Show)
Built at Castle Bromwich in 1944. To 39 MU at Colerne on 15/4/44. To 302 (Polish) Sqn at Chailey ALG in Sussex on 3/5/44. To 329 Sqn at Merston on 15/6/44 and then to 84 Group Support Unit of 2nd Tactical Air Force in Wiltshire on 29/6/44. Moved to 3501 Support Unit on 9/7/44 and then to 165 Sqn at Detling on 30/8/44. Transferred with this unit to Bentwaters in Suffolk on 16/12/44. To Scottish Aviation on 6/2/45 for repairs and then to 29 MU at High Ercall on 13/4/45. To Royal Netherlands Air Force on 25/9/46. Mounted on a pole at Eindhoven from where it was rescued in 1991. To Texas in October 1993 and rebuilt to stock RAF condition. Owned by Raybourne Thompson and registered N959RT in 2002. First restoration flight on 19th February 2004 at Covey Trails airport in Texas. Sold to Tom Duffy and based in Millville, New Jersey in November 2007.
(thanks to Kenneth Johansson - 2004)
Built at Castle Bromwich in 1943. To 9 MU at Cosford in September 1944 then to 82 MU at Lichfield in October 1944. Served across Mediterranean with the RAF during WW2. To Italian AF as MM4014 in 1947. To Israeli AF in 1953 as 20-80 where it was used in training role. To Burmese AF in 1955 and used for attacking Kuomintang guerrilas on the north-eastern border with China. Put into storage in 1956 and mounted on a pole at Hmawbi AB near Rangoonin in early 1970s. In 1995, was brought to Mingaladon AB to be preserved in the Defence Services Museum. Aquired by Brendon Deere in New Zealand. This Spitfire is actually made up of PV270's fuselage and Spitfire SL633's wings. A complete rebuild was undertaken by ITL Aviation Ltd in New Zealand. First post restoration flight was completed at RNZAF Ohakea on 18th March 2009. PV270 has been restored to represent the Wing Leader's Spitfire flown from Biggin Hill in 1944 by Brendon Deere's uncle, the legendary New Zealander Air Cdre Al Deere.
(Photo by John Hall - Wanaka, New Zealand, 2010)
Built by Vickers-Armstrong at Castle Bromwich in early 1944. To 8 MU on March 1st. To 602 Sqn on August 24th, then to 442 (Canadian) Sqn until April 19th 1945, then to 401 Sqn. When this was disbanded, PL344 was issued to 130 Sqn on 16th September at Kristiansand. By 1946 the aircraft had 129 Sqn at Church Fenton where it was last recorded on December 10th. The Anthony Fokker Technical School in the Netherlands used it for some years, the hulk was bought by Charles Church in 1985 and rebuilt, first flying at Micheldever on March 11th 1991, registered G-IXCC. Sold to Weeks Air Museum, Miami in September 1992 but moved to PPS at Booker for further work. With the Aircraft Restoration Company (2007) where work, including installation of additional fuel tanks and a repaint is completed. In the meantime Tom Blair has aquired RN201 which is now at Florida, USA.
First post-restoration flight at Duxford on 24th October 2007. Now painted in authentic original colour scheme using a photo of PL344 taken in Europe after D-Day. Now incorporates the owner's (Tom Blair) initials as the codes 'TL-B'. PL344 is expected to stay at Duxford during the Summer of 2008 and will possibly revert to its previous registration of G-IXCC before going to Florida. Taken back to USA from Duxford in November 2010.
(Photo taken at Duxford Flying Legends 2009)
TE554 was received by 33 MU on 26-5-45. To 310 Sqn on 1-8-45. To Czech Air Force on 30-8-45. To Israeli
Air Force as 57 in July 52. TE554 used to be displayed by Ezer Weizmann (President).
(photo by Phil Woolf)
John Sessions, Washington, USA
To RAF on 25.6.45. To 312 Sqn on 30.8.45. Delivered to Czechoslovakia in Auugust 1945 and Czech Air Force on 30.8.45 with No 2 LD (Czech Fighter Wing) as DU-K. To No 4 SLP as JT-10 in February 1946. Served with Military Air Academy. Crashed on 19.5.48 at Ceske Budejovice (LZ-2). Repaired and sold to Israel in October 1948. Converted to FR.IXe with serial 2042. Served with 101, 107, and 105 Sqns. To IAI Lydda and selected for Burma 1954 (serialUB425). In Hmawbi in 1955. In Mandalay (UB424) in 1984. In Mingaladon in 1995. Sold to USA in 1999 and registered as N94141 in October 2006. Long term restoration with Historic Flying Ltd as G-CZAF. First post-restoration flight in 2010.
David Price, Donald Douglas Museum, Santa Monica, California, USA.
Built Aldermaston, to 33 MU on 23.2.45. To 215 MU on 20.5.45.
SS 'Samaturdy'on 2.7.45. To India on 28.7.45. To Air Command SE Asia on 9.8.45.
sold to Indian Air Force on 29.12.47. Recovered O and W Haydon-Bailey in 1978.
To K Wickenden as G-MXIV. To Museum of Flying, Santa Monica, California as NX749DP
in 1985. Photographed at Oshkosh in 1995.
(photo by Phil Woolf)
Built at Aldermaston and delivered to 9 MU (Cosford) in March 1945. To 215 MU in May and then transferred to India on 2nd July. Arrived in India on 28th July and attached to Air Command South East Asia and served with 49 Sqn. To Indian Air Force on 29/12/47. Doug Arnold purchased and shipped it back to the UK in 1981. Stored at Blackbushe and Bitteswell until it was acquired by the Fighter Collection and restoration began in 1986. Sent to Historic Flying Ltd for completion in 1993. Sold to Sir Tim Wallis of the Alpine Fighter Collection operating out of Wanaka, New Zealand. The first post restoration flight was made on the 21st of January 1994 as G-BUZU. Shipped on the 14th of February to New Zealand where it was registered ZK-XIV. Flight testing was conducted on the 31st of March and the aircraft then displayed at the Warbirds over Wanaka show the next three days. On the 2nd of January 1996 the plane flipped inverted on take-off, almost killing the pilot. Purchased, from the insurers, by Brian Hare of Hamilton and American partner Paul Page. Restoration commenced in 1997 with AvSpecs in Rotorua and continues, although the company is now at Ardmore.
(Photo by Alex Mitchell - thanks to Kenneth Johansson)
Bob Pond. Planes of Flame, Palm Springs, California, USA.
Built by Vickers-Armstrong, Aldermaston, early 1945. To 6 MU, then 414 Sqn making its only operational sortie on April 13th. Later with 610 Sqn until May 1949. Sold via Vickers after overhaul to Belgian AF as SG108 on April 9th 1951, serving as B2-K and then the Fighter School at Coxyde as IQ-V before sale to a scrap dealer who chopped off the wings. Bought for £250 and returned to the UK, fitted with wings from RM694. Built and restored by Albert 'Bunny' Brookes in the mid 1960s, the main fuselage being brought over from Belgium and another from RAF Bicester in Oxfordshire. Passed through several ownerships. To Strathallan Collection in January 1977. Stored then sold to Spencer Flack in January 1979. Restored to flying condition and flew at Elstree on March 14th 1981 with Ray Hanna, registered as G-FIRE and painted red with white trim. Sold to Planes of Flame, USA in January 1989, becoming N8118J, then registered to Robert Pond in April 1991 as N114BP.
(photo by Dean Alexander)
Built Keevil 1945. To 350 Sqn (Belgian) at Fassberg until May 1946 when it was brought back to UK for storage.To 350 Sqn (Belgian) again in February 1948. Written off in wheels up landing in 1950 and put on show at Belgian AF Beauvechain where it stayed for 40 years. Bought back to UK by Guy Black in Belgian C-130 in May 1990 and stored in Norfolk for several years. Bought by Historic Flying Ltd at Audley End, Essex in February 1998. Rebuild in early 1999 was completed in new restoration workshops at Duxford in April 2001.
Registered G-BSKP with first flight on April 24th 2002. Sold to Tom Blair and based at Kissimmee, Florida with its first flight there on 4th December 2006. RN201 replaces PL344 which is with the ARC at Duxford.
(photo by Webmaster - Duxford Spitfire Anniversary 2006)
Owner - Tom Friedkin, Chino Spitfires Ltd, Chino, California, USA.
Ordered as PR.XI but built as F.XIV at Chattis Hill. To 29 MU on March 13th 1945. Shipped to Bombay, arriving May 15th, then probably stored until struck off charge on July 31st 1947, and sold to Indian AF. Eventually became a gate guardian at Dehra Dun, then bought by Doug Arnold in 1978 and returned to the UK, being registered to Warbirds of Great Britain as G-WWII on July 9th 1979. Restoration to Mk VIII began, but acquired by the Fighter Collection and rebuilt as Mk XIV by Charles Church and Historic Flying. First flight May 22nd 1995. Exchanged for P-40 from Christophe Jacquard in November 1997. Registered F-AZSJ. Damaged in 1998 due to taxiing accident. To 'The Fighter Collection', Duxford in March 2002 and re-registered G-WWII and operated by TFC for Tom Friedkins (Chino Warbird Inc.) Soon to be shipped to Houston, Texas.
(photo by Webmaster - Duxford 2003)
David Lowy - Temora Aviation Museum, NSW, Australia.
Built at castle Bromwich, to 19 MU on February 27th 1945. To 84 Group Support Unit on 7th March. To 453 Sqn of 125 Wing, 83 Gp 2nd TAF on March 24th. To 183 Sqn on June 21st 1945, then to 567 Sqn on July 5th. To 691 Sqn (became 17 Sqn) on June 20th 1946. Painted as a yellow-nosed Me-109 for 1950 Farnborough show. To 3 CAACU on March 15th 1951, and struck off charge on 28th September. Used in film 'Reach for the Sky' in 1955, stored at Pinewood until 1967, then used as spares for 'The Battle of Britain' film in 1968. Bill Francis who worked on the sets of the 'Battle of Britain' film acquired TB863 at the end of filming on December 11th 1968. He then kept the aircraft in his back garden for quite a while before reaching an agreement with the Historic Aircraft Museum, Southend Airport for the aircraft to be displayed there while he continued to carry out some work. Later moved to IWM, Duxford.
Moved to store at Southam, Warwickshire until registered to J. Parks and A.W. Francis as G-CDAN on November 30th 1982. To Personal Plane Services, Booker for rebuild, then sold to The Fighter Collection and moved to Duxford in 1984. Sold to Sir Tim Wallis in 1987, first flight from Duxford on September 14th 1988. Shipped to New Zealand on October 13th and registered ZK-XVI on January 17th 1989. Bought by David Lowy from Temora Aviation Museum NSW Australia in April 2006.
(photo by John Hall taken at the Warbirds over Wanaka show in April 2006 - just before moving to Temora Aviation Museum, Australia.)
Built at Castle Bromwich, to 6 MU on 27.8.45. To Fighter Command Communications Sqn North on 10.10.46. To Vickers South Marston on 29.10.46. To Metropolitan Communications Flight on 5.2.48. Flying Accident Cat A on 17.7.48. To Vickers South Marston special finish. Delivered RAF Bovington for use of AOC FighterCommand (Code J-MR = James M Robb) on 17.12.48. To Vickers South Marston in February 1949, Repainted 31 Sqn on 11.4.49. To Central Gunnery School on 4.8.51.
Non-effective on 13.12.54. Sold to F Wilcox on 11.2.55. exhibited at garage, to USA N8R in 1966.
To D Arnold as G-BAUP in 1973. To Michael Potter,Ontario N721WK in 1984.
(photo by John Hall taken at Michael Potters Classic wings base, Ottowa, Canada - August 2009)
Delford M Smith, Evergreen Aviation Educational Centre, McMinnville, Oregon, USA.
Built at Castle Bromwich. To 29 MU on 23rd June 1945, to 695 Sqn (later 34 Sqn) on July 11th.
With 2 CAACU from August 20th 1951 until September 1st 1952, then instructional airframe 6709M and 7001M at Bicester. Taxied in ' The Battle of Britain' film in 1968, then to 4 Sqn detachment of CFS at Kemble for restoration to flying condition, but work halted. To CFS Little Rissington on December 4th 1970, displayed on pylon. To Cranwell with CFS on April 20th 1976 then to Leeming in 1978. Exchanged for a P-47D and joined Doug Arnold's Warbirds of GB collection in 1986, stored at Bitteswell. Registered G-SXVI on February 25th 1987, rebuilt by Trent Aero East Midlands, first flight on December 16th 1987. At Biggin Hill until 1990. To Evergreen Ventures of Oregon, USA as N356EV in January 1990, to 747 Inc of Oregon as N356TE March 1991.
(photo by Tim Clark)
Robert Waltrip, Lone Star Flight Museum, Texas, USA.
Delivered to 9MU on June 15 1945, she was stored until 1946. Allocated briefly to 126, 65, 164, 63, 595, and 695 Squadrons, she was reduced to instructional status in September 1952. 1967 found her on a pylon outside RAF Kemble. She moved in 1970, but only to another pylon at RAF Hereford. Acquired by Doug Arnold and moved to store in 1984, she was restored to the air by Harry Stenger in Florida, and is now in the hands of her new owners, the Lone Star Museum in Galveston, Texas.
(thanks to Kenneth Johansson)
Originally sent to Rolls Royce and then to Canada for cold testing in November 1945. Struck off charge in March 1949, it later moved to Minneapolis, and spent some time as a racer. After a period in a museum in Santa Monica, it was restored and is owned and operated by Robert Jens, out of Vancouver, British Colombia, Canada.
- Thanks to Kenneth Johansson for info.
Built at Castle Bromwich. To 6 MU on August 3rd 1945, stored, then to 603 Sqn in May 1947. To 501 Sqn in November 1948, to 612 Sqn in March 1949. At Airwork for overhaul from July 1951 - July 1952. Damaged, to 9 MU and repaired by September, stored then moved to 20 MU in August 1954, back at 9 MU by September 20th. Became 7202M on August 26th 1955. Displayed at Wymeswold and the at Syerston from November 1957 to 1967. Used in the Battle of Britain film in 1968 then stored at Henlow from October that year. Allocated to RAF Museum in 1969 but stored until 1972 when it was exhanged fo Hockey Treloar's Supermarine Seagull V and flown to RAAF Amberley in a Belfast in December 1972. Open storage 1973-1983, moved to Toowoomba in September 1983 by J.F. Czerwinski and Barry Hempel. Restored as VH-XVI and first flight on October 6th 1988. Purchased in 1998 by Ken McBride and is under restoration at St Jose, California where it is to be re-registered as N384TE.
(thanks to Kenneth Johansson)
Built Castle Bromwich in 1945. To 6 MU (Brize Norton) on 2nd August 1945, then 604 (County of Middlesex) Squadron on 25 March 1947 coded NG-D. To Colerne and Lindholme and then to Debden in 1950. To 50 MU (Skellingthorpe) in 1952. Then downgraded to instructional airframe and transferring to Honington soon afterwards.Used by No.1 School of Technical Training at RAF Halton from August 1957 who repainted to its 604 Sqn markings. Remained at Halton until 1982 until it was exchanged for a replica Sopwith Pup which went to Hendon museum. RW386 went to Doug Arnold's Warbirds of GB collection stored at Blackbushe, then Bitteswell, and Biggin Hill. Restoration work at Audley End in 1992 but not completed and stored until 2002 (stored in crate at North Weald (1996-2001)). Acquired by Historic Flying Ltd with a lengthy restoration at Audley End and repainted to its 604 Sqn markings. First post-restoration flight at Duxford by Lee Proudfoot on 2nd March 2007. RW386 has been sold to the Swedish company BILTEMA on the 7th of May 2007 and arrived in Sweden on 30th May 2007. RW386 routed to Sweden via Duxford - Ostende - - Groningen - Sönderborg - Ängelholm and registered as SM-BIL.
(Photo by Webmaster - Duxford September airshow 2006)
Built Castle Bromwich, to 39 MU on June 30th 1945 and stored. To 33 MU on October 19th 1949. To 1 CAACU on 4th July 1951, to 5 MU on 11th September 1956 as 7451M, to 32 MU on January 17th 1957, to the Royal Tournament in July 1957. Restored to flying condition, joined station flights of Biggin Hill and North Weald. To Station Flight Martlesham on May 16th 1958. To 11 Gp Comm Flight on September 14th 1959. Struck off charge on January 5th 1960, reclassified for exhibition on January 31st. To Neatishead for display until February 2nd 1967. Used in Battle of Britain film in 1968, refurbished at Kemble, to Northolt on June 2nd 1970 as gate guard (8071M). To Tim Routsis/Historic Flying in June 1988, registered G-XVIB on July 3rd 1989. To Kermit Weeks, Florida on February 1st 1990 and stored. To Weeks Air Museum as N476TE on April 1991. Shipped to UK in May 1992 for restoration at Booker. First flight on June 20th 1995.
(photo by Tim Clark)
Built in Southampton in 1945. To 39 MU on June 19th 1945. Shipped to ACSEA, India in March 1946. To Royal Indian Air Force as HS654 in January 1948. No details known of Indian service. Offered for sale by Indian MoD in 1977. Aquired with seven others by Ormond and Wensley Haydon-Baillie, but passed to Rudy Frasca following Ormond's death in a Sea-Fury accident. Rebuild begun by Frasca in Illinois, USA and continued from 1991 by Historic Flying, Audley End, UK. Registered G-BTXE on October 23rd 1991. First flight from Audley End on July 5th 1992 landing at Duxford
Classic Fighter Display. Remains airworthy with Frasca at Urbana Illinois, USA.
(photo by Jim Buckel)
SM845 was built at Chattis Hill in 1945 and delivered to 39MU on 30 May 1945. In December of 1945 the aircraft went to 46MU before being shipped to Karachi, arriving 11 February 1946 and being received into South East Asia Air Command on 28 February 1946. The aircraft was transferred to the Indian Air Force on 31 December 1947 and issued with Serial No. HS687. It served in the I.A.F. until the late 1950's before being used as a decoy at Kalaikunda air base in the 1970's. It was recovered in the mid 1970's and shipped back to the USA for restoration. The aircraft eventually returned to the UK in a part restored state in the late eighties and was subsequently acquired by HFL in 1998. SM845 has been sold by Historic Flying Ltd to Biltema in 2009 and is based at Ängelholm in southern Sweden. SM845 (G-BUOS) was registered as SE-BIN on the 25th of May 2009. Sadly, the experienced pilot, Bertil Gerhardt died when Spitfire SM845 crashed at Tynset in Norway when the aircraft veered off the runway during landing (August 2010). See http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/norge/1.7258558 (Photo by Webmaster - Duxford Spitfire Anniversary 2006)
Built Keevil in mid 1945. To 6 MU on August 30th 1945. Shipped to Royal Indian Air Force as HS877 in 1946. Crashed during aerobatics killing pilot on December 12th 1946. Wreck returned to UK on July 1978. Sold to Doug Arnold and rebuilt at Blackbushe for Warbirds of Great Britain. First flight on October 12th 1985, registered G-BRAF. Left UK shortly after Arnold's death in late 1992 and sold to USA. To Flying A services on May 1998. This aircraft was aquired by The Fighter Collection at Duxford in April 2006 and shipped to Duxford to start its restoration to flight. Re-traction tests on the undercarriage on 4-5-08 in the TFC hanger (see photo). Restoration finished in 2008 and painted in No 28 Sqn markings. Sold to Jim Beasley (American warbird pilot) in late 2008 and to be registered as N969SM. SM969 made its post-restoration flight in Pennsylvania on 21.12.08. This Spitfire had not flown since 1992. (photo taken in the TFC Hangar at Duxford on 4th May 2008 by Gary Watson)
Delivered to RAF Benson in 1945. Transferred to Royal Thai Air Force as U14-26/97. Donated by King Bhumibel of Siam to Ed Maloney (Air museum at Claremont, CA) in 1962 and stored. During rebuild was fitted with Shackleton engine and retained contra-rotating props.
Flew again in May 2002 and operated by Planes of Fame, Chino (N219AM). Sold to French collector, Christophe Jacquard in 2005 and now based at Dijon-Darois airport, France. New engine fitted with 5 blade rotol propeller, also new paint scheme.
(photo by Florian Schmehl - La Ferte Airshow, 2009)
Airworthy 2-seat Spitfire Trainers based outside the UK:
Built Castle Bromwich, No RAF record, sold to Vickers Aviation as non-effective on 19.7.50.
Conversion to 2-seater G-AWGB. To Irish Air Corps as 163 on 10.7.51. Struck off charge in 1961.
Used in 'Battle of Britain' film in 1968. Bought by the late Don Plumb, of Windsor, Ontario who flew it as CF-RAF and C-FRAF from 1970 until he was killed in his Mustang about 1975.
The rear cockpit was faired over to make it appear like a single-place Spitfire.
Then owned by the Owl's Head Transportation Museum, in Rockland, Maine in 1975 as N92477. Two years later was sold by David B. Keith (aircraft broker)
to Woodson K. "Woody" Woods, of Carefree, Arizona and placed in small aviation museum as N308WK
. Later, the museum was liquidated, and he moved to Newport Beach, California.
Later sold to Bill Greenwood, Aspen, Colorado in 1979 as N308WK.
TE308 suffered damage at the Galveston Air Show on 26/4/08 in a ground collision with a Hurricane, sadly both aircraft damaged but repairable and happily no injuries. It suffered damage to the props, wing and port undercarriage.
Photographed at Oshkosh in 1995.
(photo by Dean Alexander)
Previously DM008 with Dick Melton Aviation. Restored for Peter Godfrey in Florida. Although substantially a new-build, the fuselage uses parts from ML417 and the front fuselage of the original MH367 (ex-F.IX) was acquired in the UK and stripped of all usuable components and structure and they were retrospectively incorporated into DM008. Adopted the identification of MH367. Painted to represent a Mk VB, ER570, flown by Major Robert Levine, USAAF, in Tunisia, June 1943. Registered as N367MH. First flight was at Bartow, Florida, on 16 September 2006. Sold to Doug Brooker (former champion aerobatic pilot) in 2008 and brought to New Zealand. Resgistered as ZK-WDQ. Reassembled and repainted, in the c/s of famous NZ pilot Colin F Gray of WWII, by Avspecs in Auckland with first flight in New Zealand by top warbird pilot, Keith Skilling on 21st May 2008. In January 2009, MH367 crashed at Masterton Aerodrome in the Wairarapa, days before it was due to fly in the Wings Over Wairarapa show.
On 3rd December 2009, Overshot the runway at Ardmore Airport, South Auckland. Pilot Doug Brooker walked away unscathed. MH367 bounced as it came into land, damaging its propeller and undercarriage and skidding for about 50m on the tarmac damaging its underbelly.
(photo by Colin Hunter - New Zealand on 22nd May 2008 - Doug Brooker is in the front seat and Keith Skilling in the rear)
Built Castle Bromwich. To 33 MU on 20.12.43. To 341 Sqn on 20.1.44. Category A/C Accident. Operational again on 18.6.44. To 340 Sqn on 22.6.44 and then 33 MU on 19.8.44. To
83 Group Service Unit on 27.9.44. Flying accident cat A/C on 20.1.45. To 49 MU on 25.1.45. To Heston Aircraft Ltd on 19.7.45. Sold to Vickers Aviation as non-effective on 19.7.50. Conversion to 2-seater on 31.5.51. To Irish Air Corps as 159 on 5.6.51. Struck off charge in January 1960. Stored for Film Aviation Services, Biggin Hill on 13.11.60. Stored COGEA, Brussels as payment for other a/c in March 1964. Sold to A Samuelson on 3.1.66. Reg. G-AVAV for 'Battle of Britain' film on 9.8.67. To Shoreham on 20.7.70. To Strathallan Collection in 1971-74. Doug Champlin/Windward Aviation
1974-1980. To Champlin Fighter Museum, Mesa, AZ, 1981-2000 but crashed on ferry flight to Mesa 1981. Rebuilt and converted to single-seat at Mesa.
To Museum of Flight at Boeing Field, Seattle, Washington, USA from 2000-2003 (Museum of Flight acquired the Champlin Fighter Plane Museum). Temporary move to the EAA Museum at Oshkosh on a two year loan arrangement in April 2004. MJ772 returns to Europe after 36 years in the USA and it will be converted back to a 2-seater. Overhauled by Meier Motors at Bremgarten, near Freiburg, and made airworthy before delivery to a private German owner and based at Air Fighter Academy GmbH at Heringsdorf in Germany. MJ772 made a wheels-up landing at Bremgarten Airport, Germany on 3rd May 2012 after its undercarriage malfunctioned - the pilot was unharmed.
(photo by Phil Woolf - Photographed in 1992.)
Restored to flying condition and flown at Breckenridge, Texas, on 14th April 2004. First Seafire to be restored to flying
condition anywhere in the world. Ex-Royal Navy, painted in original 804 NAS paint scheme.
(thanks to Kenneth Johansson)
Ozark Management Inc, Jefferson City, Missouri, USA.
Restored to flying condition.
Please note that some of these aircraft are being restored/rested and may or may not be regarded as airworthy.