Below are the 2020 display dates & venues for the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF):
L = Lancaster,
S = Spitfire,
H = Hurricane,
D = Dakota.
Selected flypasts in Italics.
• 30 - Capt Tom Moore's birthday (Bedfordshire) - SH
Captain (now honorary Colonel) Tom Moore, a WWII veteran, has raised millions for the NHS.
This morning (30.4.20), on his 100th birthday, two aircraft from the RAF's BBMF flew over his house to mark the occasion. Hurricane LF363 was flown by Sqn Ldr Mark Discombe (OC BBMF) and Spitfire MK365 by Flt Lt Andy Preece (BBMF Ops Officer). They completed three passes before returning to their base at RAF Coningsby.
• Video on BBC News Youtube
- 75th anniversary of VE Day (Spitfires P7350 and AB910 over White Cliffs).
- First flight of BBMF Lancaster in 2020
- Vera Lynn funeral flypast - SS - 12pm - Ditchling, Sussex
- BBMF Birthday - LSSSS
- BBMF received its Public Display Authority (PDA)
- Flypasts over Horse Guards Parade (7.30pm) and RAF Northolt (7.35pm) - filming for a VJ75 documentary - LSH
- BBMF Lancaster - Shuttleworth Magnificent Musical Flying Display Drive-in
- BBMF - VJ Day 75
- National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire (11am Flypast) - LHSSS
- Shuttleworth Vintage Drive-in (Spitfire Flypast)
- Guernsey Battle of Britain Air Display (SH Display - 11am)
- RAF Odiham - Battle of Britain 80 (Spitfire Flypast - 6.40pm)
- RAF Mildenhall Air Force Birthday Bash (Flypast - 2.30pm)
• 18 - Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show (6pm Display)
• Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show & Proms Cancelled...
• 19 - Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show (LSSSH 3pm Display)
• 20 - Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show (LSSSH 3pm Display)
- Westminster Abbey - Battle of Britain 80 (HSSS Flypast)
- Lancaster flew over Derwent Dam in the Peak District - Commemorates Operation "Chastise"
= The 'Dowding' formation consists of Lancaster, 3x Spitfires and a Hurricane.
The BBMF schedule is usually announced at the end of March each year.
Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on RAF Display Teams in 2020
Noting the restrictions currently in place on the UK population during the effort to combat the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Royal Air Force has suspended all displays from its various teams and bands until further notice. This suspension follows the similar announcement this week of the pause in the Red Arrows display season.
This decision will affect the following formations: Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, the Typhoon Display team, the Queen's Colour Squadron, the Chinook Display team, the RAF Falcons, the Grob Tutor Display Team, RAF Music Services, all RAF voluntary bands, and the RAF Pipe Band.
No decision has been taken on this year's display season for all RAF display teams. The RAF will work with event organisers and adapt to the rapidly changing situation as it develops.
• RAF Display Teams
Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on RAF Display Teams in 2020...
• Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
BBMF received its Public Display Authority (PDA) on 17th July 2020...
The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight or BBMF presently consist of twelve aircraft:- 6 Spitfires, 2 Hurricanes, Lancaster, Dakota, and 2 Chipmunks. They are operated by the Royal Air Force and have been based at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire since 1976. The BBMF participate in scores of Air Displays and events every year.
The display crew and groundcrew are all volunteers drawn from the Royal Air Force. The Flight routinely makes over 700 individual aircraft appearances during a year, ranging from major air shows to village fetes. The BBMF are usually represented at air shows with the Lancaster flanked by a Spitfire and Hurricane.
BBMF aircraft include the following:
Spitfire Mk IIa (P7350)
Spitfire Mk Vb (AB910)
Spitfire Mk LFIXe (MK356)
Spitfire Mk XIX (PM631)
Spitfire Mk XIX (PS915)
Spitfire Mk XVIe (TE311)
Hurricane Mk IIc (PZ865)
Hurricane Mk IIc (LF363)
Douglas C-47 Dakota (ZA947)
Chipmunks (WK518 & WG486)
• BBMF Official website
, BBMF Facebook
& BBMF Twitter.
• BBMF page on this website.
• UK Air Show Calendar 2020.