London City Airport is located approximately 7 miles east of the City of London, in the London Borough of Newham in east London. It is located on a former Docklands site.
London City Airport Map
The airport has stringent rules imposed to limit the noise impact from aircraft operations. Also, the short 4,948ft long runway and the steep glideslope, limits the aircraft types that can use this airport.
The airport serves the financial district of London and is the fifth busiest airport in terms of passengers and aircraft movements serving the London area after Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and Luton and the 14th busiest airport in the UK (2017).
View Larger Map
Arrivals/Departures & Scanner Frequencies
London City Airport Scanner Frequencies:
Approach (Thames Dir) - 132.700
Radar - 125.625, 128.025, 133.455
Tower - 118.080, 129.455
Ground - 121.830
ATIS - 136.355
London City Airport was officially opened in November 1987.
A new airspace authority, Thames Radar, needed to be established to provide a radar control service and provide safe separations for London City arrivals and departures.
The short 3,543ft runway along with a glideslope of 7.5 degrees (to limit the noise) meant only a limited number of aircraft types could be used including the Dash 7 and Dornier Do 228. In 1992, the runway was extended to 4,948ft and the glidescope reduced to 5.5 degrees to allow the use of a larger range of aircraft including the BAe 146 regional jet liner.
In 1995, the owner Mowlem sold the airport to an Irish businessman Dermot Desmond. In 2002, a jet centre catering for corporate aviation was opened, and in 2003, a new holding point established at the eastern end of the runway. In 2005, London City Airport DLR station opened on a branch of the Docklands Light Railway, providing rail access to the airport and to the City of London. In 2006, the airport was sold to a consortium of insurer AIG and Global Infrastructure Partners.
The airport was granted to construct an extended apron with additional aircraft parking stands in 2001 which has now been completed. In 2009, British Airways started the first scheduled transatlantic flights to JFK International Airport using a specially configured Airbus A318.
The size and layout of the airport and overall complexity caused by the lack of taxiways mean that the airport gets very busy during peak hours. The size of the airport, constrained by the water-filled Royal Albert and King George V docks to the north and south respectively, means that there are no covered maintenance facilities for aircraft. London City Airport is small compared with the other four London international airports. Due to its proximity to London's Docklands and financial district its main users are business travellers, but leisure traveller numbers are increasing.
In October 2015, Global Infrastructure Partners which owned 75% of the facility, put it up for sale, with the agreement of Oaktree Capital Management which holds the remaining 25%. A sale to a Canadian-led consortium of Alberta Investment Management Corporation (AIMCo), OMERS, the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan and Wren House Infrastructure Management of the Kuwait Investment Authority was confirmed in February 2016. The sale was completed on 10 March 2016.
In September 2016, British Airways announced the termination of one of its two daily long-haul all-business class services from the airport to New York City, citing economic reasons. The decision was taken to relocate the control tower to a site 80 miles away at Swanwick, Hampshire, utilising three cable links providing live video which will be a UK first by relocating air traffic controllers to a remotely operated digital control room. In January 2021, after a delay due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, London City became the first major airport controlled by a remote Air traffic control tower.
Getting to London City Airport
London City Airport is ideally located in East London - home to Canary Wharf, ExCel London and The O2 arena, and is located outside of the London Congestion Charge zone. Getting to London City Airport is easy, whether by public transport, taxi or road. The Sat Nav postcode is E16 2PX
The London City Airport DLR station is connected to the airport Terminal making transport to and from the airport fast and convenient. The airport is located in Zone 3. Oyster cards and tickets can be purchased at the DLR counter adjacent to the airport Terminal. If you are travelling out of London, National Rail can provide service information including timetables and routes.
Bus number 473 operates between London City Airport, Stratford, Silvertown, North Woolwich and Prince Regent DLR Station. Bus number 474 operates between London City Airport, Canning Town, North Woolwich and East Beckton via Silvertown.
Licensed taxis (Black cabs) are available directly outside the terminal building.
• Car Parking
• Drop off & Pick up