Bristol Airport is located at Lulsgate Bottom in North Somerset and serves the city of Bristol and surrounding area. It is 8.1 miles southwest of Bristol city centre.
Bristol Airport Map
There is only one runway (09/27) of just 6,598 ft in length with an available landing length of 6,155 ft making it one of the shortest international airport runways in the country but the airfield can accommodate aircraft as large as the Boeing 787 Dreamliner and Airbus A330. The Airport does not currently operate any jetways, so aircraft have to park on the apron and passengers either walk out to their flights or are carried by bus.
In September 2014, Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan become the sole owner of the airport. In 2019, Bristol Airport was ranked the eighth busiest Airport in the UK.
View Larger Map
Arrivals/Departures & Scanner Frequencies
Bristol Airport Scanner Frequencies:
Approach/Radar - 125.650
Radar/Dir - 136.080
Tower - 133.850
Ground/Del - 121.930
ATIS - 126.030
Bristol (Whitchurch) Airport was opened in 1930 and was the third civil airport in the United Kingdom.
During WWII, Bristol (Whitchurch) Airport was the only civilian airport in operation in the UK and all flights inbound to London actually terminated at this airport.
Whitchurch airport continued to be used after the war, but the introduction of heavier post-war airliners meant that a longer runway was needed. This was not possible because of nearby housing estates and a decision was made to develop a new airport at Lulsgate Bottom Airfield. Lulsgate Bottom had been an RAF training base during the war but was later abandoned in April 1946.
The new airport (Bristol Lulsgate Airport) was opened in 1957, and All the Whitchurch airline operations moved here. The runway was lenghtened and extensions made to the terminal in 1965. By 1980 there were seventeen chartered airlines operating from this airport. The airport's name was changed to Bristol International Airport in 1997 and a new terminal built in 1999/2000. In November 1997, the successful bidder for the purchase of a 51% stake in the airport company was revealed to be FirstBus and the remaining 49% was retained by the council. In January 2001, the airport was purchased for £198M by a joint venture of Macquarie Bank and Cintra, part of the Ferrovial group.
A new asphalt runway surface was laid between November 2006 and March 2007 but after a series of accidents due to reduced braking action in wet conditions the runway was closed and grooves cut into the surface to improve water runoff and flights resumed the next day.
In 2010 the airport was rebranded as Bristol Airport. In September 2014, Toronto-based Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan agreed to buy Macquarie's remaining 50% stake in the airport, thereby gaining 100% ownership. In 2018, the airport applied to extend the airport to allow a growth in passenger numbers to 12 million. This involved enlarging the passenger terminus and plane taxiways and increasing parking although North Somerset council voted 18 to 7 to reject the plan on 10 February 2020 as there was much resistance to the plan with 84% of North Somerset residents who commented rejecting the expansion plan.
Getting to Bristol Airport
Bristol Airport is located on the A38, 8 miles south of Bristol city centre. The airport is signposted from the M5 motorway, from junction 22 when approaching from the south and junction 18 when approaching from the north. The Sat Nav postcode is BS48 3DY
In November 2013, Bristol and North Somerset councils approved a planning application for the South Bristol Link Road, which provides a link from the A38 northwards to the A370 at Long Ashton, giving the airport an improved connection to the M5, and a link from the A38 southwards to Hengrove Park, connecting to the Bristol Ring Road. The South Bristol Link, part of the MetroBus rapid transit route was opened in January 2017.
The nearest train station to Bristol Airport is Bristol Temple Meads, approximately eight miles away. The A1 Bristol Flyer service stops at Bristol Temple Meads railway station, making it easy to connect with onward rail services across the UK. Regular rail services are provided by a number of operators including Great Western Railways and CrossCountry.
• Car Parking
• Drop off & Pick up