City of Derry Airport previously known as RAF Eglinton and Londonderry Eglinton Airport, is a regional airport located 7 miles north-east of Derry, Northern Ireland. It is located on the south bank of Lough Foyle, a short distance from the village of Eglinton and 8 miles from the city centre.
City of Derry Airport Map
The Fuel Tanks from the Virgin Atlantic Flyer, the transatlantic hot air balloon, which landed four miles away in 1987 are currently displayed at the airport.
View Larger Map
Arrivals/Departures & Scanner Frequencies
City of Derry Airport Scanner Frequencies:
Approach - 123.625
Tower - 134.155
ATIS - 119.38
In 1941, RAF Eglinton air base was established as the home to No. 133 Squadron RAF which flew Hurricane fighters in defence of the city. In 1943 the airfield became a Fleet Air Arm base called RNAS Eglinton (HMS Gannet) and was home to No. 1847 Fleet Air Arm Squadron which provided convoy air cover as part of the Battle of the Atlantic. RNAS Eglinton closed in April 1959.
After the war the base remained a military establishment until the 1950s when the Ministry of Defence returned much of the land to the original landowners. The original name of the airport was Londonderry Eglinton Airport and it was usually just referred to as "Eglinton". Some limited commercial activities were undertaken at the airfield during the 1960s when Emerald Airways operated a Glasgow service. Emerald built a new terminal building and control tower to support services with the first flight to Glasgow operating on 16 September 1967. During most of the 1970s the only flying at Eglinton was carried out by Eglinton Flying Club which is still based at the airport.
In 1978 Londonderry City Council decided to purchase the airfield with a view to improving the transport infrastructure for the north-west of Ireland. A major redevelopment programme was undertaken by the council from 1989 to 1993 with grant aid from the European Regional Development Fund and they upgraded all of the facilities at the airport including runways, taxiways, access roads, navigation equipment and runway lighting, as well as a new purpose-built terminal (opened March 1994) and fire station. The name of the airport was officially changed from Londonderry Eglinton to the City of Derry Airport by Derry City Council following nationalist support within the newly renamed council. During 1998 and 1999 safety improvements were undertaken at the airport as a matter of priority and this meant that larger aircraft could use the airport.
Getting to City of Derry Airport
City of Derry Airport is conveniently located 7 miles North East of Derry City on the A2 Londonderry to Coleraine Road. The satnav Postcode is BT47 3GY
Derry-Londonderry train station is located at Duke Street in the Waterside area of the city and it is served daily by the Belfast to Derry service. Full details of the train services from and to Derry are available on the Translink website.
Ulsterbus operates various scheduled services to and from the airport to the main Bus Depot on Foyle Street in the City centre. City Cabs dedicated taxi rank is located immediately in front of the airport terminal with taxis available for private hire.
City of Derry Airport has a variety of great car parking products to suit everyone, whether it's for a short break, a longer trip away or dropping off friends and family. The car park is conveniently located onsite, opposite the terminal building and within easy walking distance to the main entrance.
• More information on the official website