The Shuttleworth Collection is an aeronautical and automotive museum located at the Old Warden Aerodrome, Old Warden in Bedfordshire, England. It is one of the most prestigious in the world due to the variety of old and well-preserved aircraft.
The collection is unique as it is the world's only exhibition of 'flyable' historic aeroplanes dating back to the birth of powered flight and extending into World War II. Shuttleworth put on several air shows each year which include many of the museum's aircraft.
Shuttleworth Collection Map
The Shuttleworth collection was founded in 1928 by aviator Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth. During World War II, while flying a Fairey Battle at night on 2 August 1940, Shuttleworth fatally crashed. In 1944, his mother formed the Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth Remembrance Trust "for the teaching of the science and practice of aviation and of afforestation and agriculture."
The Shuttleworth Collection puts an emphasis on restoring as many aircraft as possible to flying condition, inline with the founder's original intention.
The collection includes the Bleriot XI (1909) which is the World's oldest airworthy aircraft, and the Blackburn Type D (1912) which is the oldest airworthy British aeroplane.
In addition to the aircraft, the collection also houses a number of vintage and veteran vehicles including early cars, motorcycles, bicycles, and agricultural exhibits.
Shuttleworth has a grass runway and hosts several air shows each year where it displays some of the museums exhibits as well as visiting aircraft.
The Shuttleworth Collection Address & Travel
Old Warden Aerodrome
Telephone: 01767 627 927
The Shuttleworth museum is based in Old Warden, Bedfordshire, two miles due west of the A1 where it bypasses Biggleswade and approximately 20 miles from Junction 13 of the M1. The Satnav postcode is SG18 9EP. There is also free car parking.
The closest rail station is in Biggleswade (approx 3 miles). There is no bus link, but local taxis can be pre-booked or a taxi rank is located in Biggleswade Market Square (1 min walk from rail station).
How much does it cost?
The admission fee can be found on the official website, and car parking is free.
What are the Opening Hours?
• February to October: 9.30am to 5pm [last admission 4pm]
• November to February: 10am to 4pm [last admission 3pm]
For more information then visit the • Shuttleworth official website.Accommodation:postcode - SG18 9EP
The Shuttleworth Collection Photograph:
Avro Triplane IV
• ANEC II (G-EBJO)
• Avro 504K (G-ADEV)
• Avro Triplane IV Replica (G-ARSG)
• Avro Tutor (G-AHSA)
• Avro Anson (G-AHKX)
• Blackburn Type D (G-AANI)
• Bleriot XI (G-AANG)
• Bristol Boxkite Replica (G-ASPP)
• Bristol F.2b Fighter(G-AEPH)
• Bristol M.1C (G-BWJM)
• Comper Swift (G-ACTF)
• de Havilland DH.51 (G-EBIR)
• de Havilland DH.53 Humming Bird (G-EBHX)
• de Havilland DH.60 Cirrus Moth (G-EBLV)
• de Havilland DH.60X Hermes Moth (G-EBWD)
• de Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth II (G-ANKT)
• de Havilland DH.88 Comet (G-ACSS)
• de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk 22 (G-BNZC)
• Deperdussin Type A monoplane (G-AANH)
• Desoutter I (G-AAPZ)
• English Electric Wren (G-EBNV)
• Gloster Gladiator (G-AMRK)
• Granger Archaeopteryx (G-ABXL)
• Grumman FM-2 Wildcat (N49JC)
• Hawker Cygnet Replica (G-CAMM)
• Hawker Hind (G-AENP)
• Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib (G-BKTH)
• Hawker Tomtit (G-AFTA)
• Messerschmitt Me 163 Fuselage mockup (191454)
• Mignet HM.14 Flying Flea (G-AEBB)
• Miles M.2L Hawk Speed Six (G-ADGP)
• Miles Magister (G-AJRS)
• Parnall Elf (G-AAIN)
• Percival Mew Gull (G-AEXF)
• Percival Provost T1 (G-KAPW)
• Polikarpov Po-2 (G-BSSY)
• RAF SE.5A (G-EBIA)
• Slingsby Grasshopper TX.1 (XA241)
• Sopwith Camel Replica (G-BZSC)
• Sopwith Pup (G-EBKY)
• Sopwith Triplane Replica (G-BOCK)
• Southern Martlet (G-AAYX)
• Supermarine Spitfire LF.Mk.Vc (G-AWII/AR501)
• Westland Lysander Mk.IIIa (G-AZWT)
Resident, but privately owned:
• Druine Turbi
• Fieseler Storch (GSTCH)
• Luscombe Silvaire
• Miles M3a Falcon (G-AEEG)
• Miles M14a Hawk Trainer (N3788/G-AKPF)
• Westland Wallace replica fuselage
• De Havilland DH89A Rapide (G-AGSH)