The Royal Navy International Air Day will take place on Saturday 13 July at the Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton in Somerset, to showcase the Fleet Air Arm's current and future capabilities and historic accomplishments spanning over 100 years. As one of the South West's largest one day events, it's increasingly popular with both families and aviation enthusiasts looking for a great day out. There are many reasons to visit the show, here are the top five:
1. Lightning forecast! The cutting-edge F-35B Lightning will make its Royal Navy International Air Day debut. Making an airborne-only appearance, the state-of-the-art multirole stealth fighter will bring a glimpse of future UK airpower to Air Day with two flypasts - one slow and one fast. A full-sized F-35B model with cockpit access will also be on static display for a close-up look at the UK's new fifth generation fighter.
2. The world famous Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team, the Red Arrows, will be performing one of their very last UK displays before they depart on their tour of North America in late July. Don't miss their impeccable blend of formation and opposition manoeuvres before they go!
3. The world's only flying Westland Wessex HU5 is coming home to Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton to open the flying display at Air Day on its airshow debut! This fifty-plus-year-old former troop transport, search and rescue helicopter and Falklands veteran has been extensively restored since retiring in 1988.
4. The science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) Zone will be open, providing a fantastic opportunity for children to take part in many free interactive activities using modern cutting-edge technology that is around us every day. Expect some ultimate family entertainment with a visit from the world-famous Titan the Robot!
5. The Commando Helicopter Force Role Demo is Air Day's traditional set piece finale, featuring multiple fast jets and helicopters with fast-roping Royal Marine Commandos attacking an enemy force and saving the day! Expect plenty of explosive action culminating in the jaw-dropping Wall of Fire, to give Air Day the most epic of endings.
The show will also host a vast range of showground attractions from the latest defence technology exhibitions service displays to trade stalls, arena displays, military bands, meet the pilots and so much more.Look out for more exciting announcements to follow!
For a full list of participating aircraft and discounted advance tickets (Adult £28, Child U16 £5 and Child U5 Free) available at www.royalnavy.mod.uk/airday.