A revitalised version of the 'Weeping Lancaster' commemoration has again been added to the artefact display in Lancaster Corner in Hangar 1 at Newark Air Museum, which is located close to the Nottinghamshire / Lincolnshire county border.
'Weeping Lancaster' features a stream of poppies that have been added to the floor of the Lancaster fuselage section from IX(B) Squadron Lancaster W4964, WS-J that was donated to Newark in 1974. These complement the added air gunner figure and will form a fitting reminder of the aircrew that trained at RAF Winthorpe during World War II with 1661 HCU (Heavy Conversion Unit).
The inspiration for this commemoration came from the various poppy displays around the country and they were installed in the Lancaster fuselage section by Nigel & Jude Bean.
The fuselage section is of major significance to the history of Bomber Command as it came from Lancaster W4964, that flew 106 Ops and its 100th Op was a 'Tallboy Mission' on the Tirpitz battleship in Alten Fjord, Norway.
W4964 carried the nose art of the 'Johnnie Walker' whiskey company and the exhibit still wears its original wartime paintwork. Its ends had been boarded up and it had been used as a road repairers 'mess hut' and also garden shed before being donated to the museum in 1974.
Photo Credits: Howard Heeley - Down To Earth Promotions.