New Aviation Memorial
unveiled at Hucknall, Nottinghamshire
The dedication and formal unveiling of another aviation memorial in Nottinghamshire took place in Hucknall Market Place, Nottinghamshire, on Saturday 30th June 2012.
This new memorial stone was raised in memory of 504 Squadron (County of Nottingham) Royal Auxiliary Air Force (RAuxAF), which was formed at nearby RAF Hucknall on 26th March 1928.
Arrangements for the memorial were undertaken by 504 (County of Nottingham) Squadron Association and the local council. A service of dedication was held in Hucknall Parish Church before the formal unveiling and wreath laying ceremonies.
The ceremony was attended by civic dignitaries; representatives of 504 Squadron, which is currently based at RAF Wittering; cadets from the local squadrons of the Air Training Corps; and members of the local Royal Air Force Association (RAFA). A wreath was laid on behalf of the 504 (County of Nottingham) Squadron Association by Mrs Jacqui Thompson.
504 Squadron (County of Nottingham) RauxAF was incorporated into RAF Fighter Command at the outbreak of World War II and operated during the Battle of Britain; and flew Hurricanes and Spitfires. The squadron was disbanded in 1957; during the late 1990s a new unit was formed at RAF Cottesmore as an Offensive Support Role Support Squadron (OSRSS) of the RAF.
The new memorial helps the Nottinghamshire town of Hucknall maintain its ties with this historic squadron and maintains the town's 'claim to fame' as having the highest number of aviation memorials in the county.
Photo Credits: Howard Heeley - Down To Earth Promotions