On Saturday 10th May 2014 around 80 people, including many former RAF servicemen and women gathered at the Witham St Hughs Village Hall on part of the former site of RAF Swinderby, Lincs. They were present to participate in a short dedication service for a new memorial that has been erected to remember the service personnel who served at RAF Swinderby from 1940 through to 1993.
Keith Allen, the Chairman of the RAF Swinderby Association introduced Tony Palmer, the Associationís founder and President, who performed the memorial unveiling at just after 14.30hours. The memorial was dedicated and blessed by Reverend Canon Nick Buck, of the Withamside United Parish and an act of remembrance was marked by Roger Bryan playing the Last Post. A guard of honour for the ceremony was provided by Air Cadets from 1237 (North Hykeham) Squadron of the Air Training Corps.
Co-ordination of the event and raising of funds for the memorial was undertaken by the RAF Swinderby Association, who had previously planted a memorial tree and commemorative plaque on the Network46 development part of the former RAF Swinderby airfield site.
The memorial was constructed by local stonemason Jason Henfrey, to a design that was based around a similar memorial at the former RAF Skellingthorpe airfield site, which is also in the North Kesteven District Council area. Support and advice during the project implementation phase was provided by Aviation Heritage Lincolnshire and members of the Newark Air Museum, which hosts the RAF Swinderby Association AGM every year.
After the service of dedication the gathered guests were served refreshments in the Witham St Hughs Village Hall, unfortunately the flypast by the Lancaster from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight was cancelled due to the adverse weather conditions.
Photo Credits: Howard Heeley - Down To Earth Promotions